forced to downgrade amp....

thedude400

So I got tired of paying my car loan and the rising insurance rates that went with it so I decided to sell it and buy a cheap car in cash. So in order to do so I had to let go of my beloved Mesa DC-2 combo. I need another amp soon because I'm itching to record again. I just need a simple amp with a clean channel and a distorted channel, and I really only need it for recording (it would be nice to have one loud enough to rehearse with a band but that is not a requirement).

Having used a Mesa I've been sort of spoiled but I would like something with a good solid rock tone to it, both clean and crunchy but my budget is 200-250, $300 at the very most.

Any recommendation for something used in that price range that can produce some good guitar sound. I'm leaning towards a tube amp but I will take solid state suggestions too.

JCH said:
Dude? You sold your amp... go sit in the corner..

lol

I sold my amps. All I have is my acoustic and an electric (ya...without an amp).

I realized I am not a rockstar and I don't need a $2000 head/cab combo. Still got the D41, but thats different. I got a hell of a nice rifle and scope when I sold that amp. :D :D :D :D :D

I am plan on eventually getting a 5 watt tube amp of some kind in the future for rocking out and maybe even one of those digital Fender cyber twin amps for cleans and delayed chorus bliss. ;)

That had to have hurt. You could go with a used Peavey Classic, mod up a Valve Jr (if you don't need high wattage), look for a Traynor, or grab a used Carvin Nomad or Belaire, and do the hasserl(sp?) mods, which seem to bring those amps up a couple of notches.

I bought a Marshall JCM900 100W combo for £100 'coz it was beaten up, but new valves and a bit of clean turned it into a beast. I also got a WEM Dominator Bass MK I for free coz some idiot chucked it out - again, new valves and a clean will sort it out.

There's always great deals out there to be had - just look around

JCH said:
Dude? You sold your amp... go sit in the corner..

yeah, whats up with that?? sell your amp?

why didnt you just prostitute your girlfriend out?

i'd sell my kidney before my amp.

Check this clip out. I found it on another forum. It's a Vox AD15VT. This little amp can get some killer sounds.That's kicking some MAJOR ass to get tones out of that through the headphone out and some EQ and compression.These tones amaze me. He's some guitarest from Findland.

TragikRemix said:
yeah, whats up with that?? sell your amp?

why didnt you just prostitute your girlfriend out?

i'd sell my kidney before my amp.

It's not something I'm proud to admit I did, But times get tough and I had to make a compromise. But on the bright side got about 8 solid months of use out of it and sold it for the same price I got it for.

I had one of those Vox 30's (same line) and I don't have anything negative to say about it. Maybe I'll pick up another. The Fender Hot rod's and the Laney Combo also seem pretty cool. I appreciate the suggestions.

I'll put in a good word for the silver/black Peavey Bandit 112 with the Transtube circuit. Excellent sounding amp that can be picked up used for under $300. I have however heard mixed things about the newer red/black Peavey line.

As for Laney amps, the tube ones are supposed to be pretty good; the HC50 I used for years, however, sucks. No bottom end.

cheers

Billy S.

Back