For VO - how to use DBX 166SX gate with Soundcraft Notepad-12 FX and/or Signature 12 MTK (as there are no inserts)

Libertinus

Hi,

With VO stuff in mind, and having less that optimum spaces to record in, I'd like to use a gate to block some of the extra ambience out.

I got a DBX 166sx and I have a Sounbdcraft Notepad-12FX AND a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK. My mics AKG C-214 & HSC 271 broasdcasting headset.

How can I gate and compress mic (VO) sound, as neither of my mixers has inserts. I'm an old geezer but new to all things related to mixing, mixers etc.

These are the products on question:

https://www.thomann.de/fi/soundcraft_notepad_12fx.htm

https://www.thomann.de/fi/soundcraft_signature_12mtk.htm

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/166xs#description

I have tried to read on the subject, but for some reason I findn it very difficult to understand the "general principles". That's why I'd love to get a foolproof explanation - what cables to connect where.

Or is this going to be too complicated - would I be better off having a mixer with inserts and returns and whatever - and what would the connections be then?

...And one more Q - I have access to a Sound Devices Mixpre-6 II. I suppose therer is no way I could use my DBX166sx gate/compressor with that?

https://www.thomann.de/fi/sound_devices_mixpre_6_ii.htm

One of my mics & my mic-phones headset:

https://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_c214.htm

https://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_hsc_271_02.htm

Thanks a bunch for any and all attempts at help!

L.

Last edited:
Well, I was about to say you can't really use it, but it occurred to me you could put the mic into one mixer, feed that output to the compressor then feed the output of the compressor to another mixer. XLR-F to TRS cables for the first part of that, TRS to TRS cable for the second part.

What are you recording the VO with? If you are recording into a computer DAW, you can simply do all the compression and noise reduction in the computer. It will probably turn out better that way anyway.

If you must use the 166, you can plug your mic into channel 1.
Turn up aux 1 about half way on channel 1.
Make sure the MST and 1-2 buttons by the fader are not pressed and bring fader up to 0
Connect the aux 1 output on the mixer to the input of the 166
Connect the output of the 166 to the line input on channel 2
Press MST button on channel 2 and bring the fader up

What this is doing is taking the signal from channel 1 and sending it out the aux 1 send to the 166 and coming back into channel 2. The only channel you should be listening to is channel 2, which is why the routing buttons aren't depressed.
You want to record channel 2, but if you are recording in the computer, you can record channel 1 as well, just in case you don't have the gate and compressor set optimally and things get cut off. That way, you will have the unprocessed performance and be able to do some editing on that.

Me too. I remember having to use outboard analog gates, it was always a pain if the signal wasn't extremely consistent.

Well, I was about to say you can't really use it, but it occurred to me you could put the mic into one mixer, feed that output to the compressor then feed the output of the compressor to another mixer. XLR-F to TRS cables for the first part of that, TRS to TRS cable for the second part.
Thank you, bouldersoundguy!

:thumbs up:

What are you recording the VO with? If you are recording into a computer DAW, you can simply do all the compression and noise reduction in the computer. It will probably turn out better that way anyway.

If you must use the 166, you can plug your mic into channel 1.
Turn up aux 1 about half way on channel 1.
Make sure the MST and 1-2 buttons by the fader are not pressed and bring fader up to 0
Connect the aux 1 output on the mixer to the input of the 166
Connect the output of the 166 to the line input on channel 2
Press MST button on channel 2 and bring the fader up

What this is doing is taking the signal from channel 1 and sending it out the aux 1 send to the 166 and coming back into channel 2. The only channel you should be listening to is channel 2, which is why the routing buttons aren't depressed.
You want to record channel 2, but if you are recording in the computer, you can record channel 1 as well, just in case you don't have the gate and compressor set optimally and things get cut off. That way, you will have the unprocessed performance and be able to do some editing on that.
Hi, Farview,

The trouble here is,

1) my newer MacOs laptop has a "weak" processor and very little free memory. Don't have to do much anything - without even opening a DAW! - and the used memory soon is around 82%. Thus recording to a via DAW (I have access to Audition and Reaper in my new small laptop) and doing processing is most likely not going to work well.

2) My older Mac laptop with i7 and 16 MB RAM has the hard disk so full, I am unable to upgrade the OS without uninstalling the most important software on mine.

Also, the MacOS (BigSur) in my first, smaller laptop does not recognize my plugins' USB key. i can't even access my external SSD from that laptop, as the OS does not recognize the Samsung SSD software and is unable to update/upgrade said software.

So I thought an external compressor/gate might sort me out. Recording to Mixpre-6 II while using DBX 166sx would be optimal: then I could take to stuff to a laptop and continue editing and fixing it further there.

I should say, I was lucky to get another mixer, a 2nd hand Soundcraft EPM 6 for a song, so now I also do have a mixer with channel inserts. I suppose that makes using the DBX166sX much easier?

It is a pity if I can't benefit from the preamps of my Mixpre-6 II as they are supposed to be very good. And if I can't use my plugins (from Lexicon and a bunch of other companies) it is a pain in the neck, but happily I do have a Lexington MX400 that I got a few years a go to (eventually) use with my cheapo-version Roland drums.

Cheers,

L.

Honestly, I'd do it in post unless it's a live stream or something.
I explained in a reply to Farview an instant ago that my new laptop has inadequate processor and small memory, and my older faster one with 16 GB memory has disk almost full, and without reformatting it and upgrading it and upgrading a zillion plug-ins it is inadequate for recording and processing.

L

Back