for those in Europe

PILSMAN

A little background first. I am US military stationed in Germany, so I need to use transformers so that I can plug 110(US) into 220(EU)outlets. My question. Will this disrupt the internal clock inside the recorder. The clock in my puter is all F***** up, because of the wavelenght diff or some shit. I don't want to buy a 220 rocorder, because I'll be back in the states in a year or two.

Pils

I think they're 50Hz instead of 60 like back in the good ol US. Check your manual. A lot of gear can be reconfigured internally to run on European AC specs by moving some jumpers around. You might get lucky.

Germany runs 220V/50Hz (or even 230V but that doesn't matter) but transformers are available for 110V/60Hz. They are a bit more expensive than the regular voltage transformer as they have to convert the frequency as well. Make sure you get one that can handle the combined effect of your effects and recorder. I.e. add all the Watts on your equipment and make sure that the transformer can handle it.

As pointed out, most pro/prosumer equipment has a switch on the power supply that lets you select voltage and frequency. I doubt that the effect boxes do though.

Now it's time to get use to the 50Hz hum instead of 60Hz :)

Good luck

/Ola

I bought a Tascam analog recorder in the US (early '80's) and was very happy to discover that it had an internal voltage converter when I returned to England. It worked fine there on 240.

I believe it was a Canadian model - so it worked really well at 40 below, too.

foo

Back