For the Pro Tools users out there.

boogle

So I have used Pro-Tools for a while but mainly use Cubase. I am finally sitting down and really trying to learn how to work in Pro Tools like I can in Cubase. I have a few questions I will periodically post as I run into them in Pro Tools. I have the manual so these will just be questions I can not seem to find there. Being how popular it is I am sure it must be able to do all of these things since every other daw can, I just can not find them. Please help.

I have been using both HD and LE on a G5

1) Foder Tracks?
2) I want set it up so that when I record over previously recorded audio, when I delete the new region, what was underneith it to still be there. (I konw you can pull audio with the smart tool but what if you record over an entire clip? I do not want to have to go back to regions mode and spot it back in).

3) Can you not view say volume and pan automation for 1 track at the same time?

4) How do you direct monitor off of the 002 instead of always having to input monitor?

5) I select a region to loop with the blue arrows, I then want to move my cursor so I start playing the looped region in the middle of it instead of automatically snapping to the begining of the looped region.

6) How do I select different levels of click track to go out different bus outputs (for headphone mixes etc.)

1) Foder tracks? what is that?

2) there's no way to just delete it and see the previous regions that were there before. you'll have to either trim them back from somewhere or drag them from the region bin. that's why it's important to name your regions.

3) no

4) do you mean a hardware monitor like the Mbox does? not possible on the 002. You need to record arm a track if you want to hear yourself.

5) you need to turn off "timeline insertion follows edit selection"....look it up in your manual. It's in the main edit window.

6) setup sends on each track. but set them up to go out the outputs

What we do in the studio, is create a talk back track (aux), disable the solo button, and change the input of the talk back track to the mic input, and you have a talk back track.

Some more questions.

1) Is there now way to zoom just by clicking the cursor in the time line and then moving up and down with the mouse?

2) How do you change the increments between each click with in zoom levels.

3) Are the only track heights you get mini small medium large and jumbo?

4) Do you really have to pay another $500 just to export .omf?

5) I can not figure out how to extend my amount of undo states past 64!!! ( I think it was 64)

6) Are the only grid modes available relative and absolute?

7) How do you freeze tracks (They may call it something else, but be able to effectively suspend a plug-in or vst-i, freeing up its cpu usage but still having the result of the plugin be audible, you just can not edit it until you un-freeze it).

8) Is there not a way to build your own rhythms via midi and save them as a quantization grid, instead of just using 16th notes or 1/4 notes etc.?

9) Can you not make your own key commands, or at least make micros?

I am not trying to knock pro tools at all, these are all features that most daw's (Logic, Performer, and Cubase) have that I use everyday. Or at least very regularly. I have spent a lot of time looking for these things in the manual and just can not find them.

Thanks for your help.

Oh yeah, folder tracks are tracks you place in your project that you can then place audio tracks inside for very quick visual grouping and group "show" "hide".

Back