For Stereo Analog Recording Is Dedicated A/D Converter or Soundcard Preferable?

rontokyo

I want to record viny to my hard drive [I can monitor editing via my current MAudio 2496 digital out]. So my question is--in the $400-700 range--which will give me the most bang for the buck, a dedicated A/D or a card? Seems like I'd be paying for many unnecessary features [including unneeded converters] with most quality cards.

If you were analog recording you wouldn't need a converter. But of course you really mean you're digitally recording an analog source.

What's wrong with using the Audiophile that you already have? It's got perfectly decent specs.

Nothing's really "wrong" with the 2496 I'm using now, but as making CD-R transfers of LPs is a very time-consuming task [manual de-clicking in particular], I simply want to insure that what I'm recording to my hard drive will be as faithful to the source vinyl as my budget will allow. Are you suggesting that upgrading my current card will yield no appreciable differences?

probably not much, if anything, within the price range you mentioned. especially considering we're talking about VINYL to start with here...

anyway, an appreciable (and worthwhile) upgrade would probably be something like a Lynx 2.

In the price range you mentioned, I would look for something like a used Apogee Rosetta 48k(a/d only) with a spdif out and plug into the spdif in of your audiophile card. It will be a step up in quality. The clocking of the apogee will actually improve the sound of your audiophile card as well.

rontokyo said:
Hmm. I was afraid of that. Re: the Lynx 2, is the L22 comparable?
They are as far as I can tell - seem to have the same converters. Just 2 analog ins and 2 outs, instead of the combinations of 8.

Back