For some reason

Bushice

I can't get my keyboard to trigger the digital recording program I have in my computer. Here's the setup:

Midi Keyboard,
1 in 3 out midi Translator box
MAC Computer with midi interface link
E-Z-Vision software
JV 880 rack mount, with drum sounds

I want to use the keyboard to record the drum sounds into the computer. I've tried hooking it up several ways, but it won't trigger the recorder to start using the JV-880. I've swapped out cords, I've tried hooking up the keyboard direct to the computer (that actually worked).

I am able to play the keyboard and trigger the sounds in the JV 880 to play, but for some reason, I can't get the thing to record them.

Any suggestions on how to hook this stuff up MIDI-wise?

I'm stumped.

Thanks

bushice

I am able to play the keyboard and trigger the sounds in the JV 880 to play, but for some reason, I can't get the thing to record them.

Based on this comment, do you have your JV 880's audio outputs tied to your audio input of your PC soundcard ?
Have you armed the track you wish to record to ?

Yes,
but it's not a matter of that so much as wiring the midi connections correctly.

Everything on the audio end works. The midi connections are what triggers the program to start recording, and if it does not record, you hear nothing.

BTW, there is no "sound card", in the PC sense. This is an older MAC system, and the midi connections are through a generic port that can be enabled to control everything midi. You submit all sound data from your keyboard and rackmount controllers through midi, the computer records it, and on playback, the midi out from the computer triggers the JV-880, which is hooked up via 1/4 inch outs to an analog audio system so it can be recorded on my 8 track tascam along with guitars and vocals. It's been a while since I used it, and for some reason, I can't configure it correctly.

Thanks,

Bushice

you need to have the mac connected to both in and out of the keyboard. it does not sound like this is the case..

the program shouldn't be "triggered" by the keyboard to start recording. it's usually something you do yourself.

Be sure you have both the in and out of the keyboard connected properly to the sequencer.

i also need to know what sequencer you're using to record the midi data. Cause i have to add that an audio program isn't capable of recording midi, as you might know..

.. anyway.. i don't understand what you mean when you say you have to submit the sounds from the keyboard and rack modules to the program.. that's highly unusual... 1st of all since midi doesn't contain any sound...

.. need mo' data.. draw a chart in painbrush or something.. remember to tell exactely what program you use for midi recording..

Ok, Here goes:

Here's the set up:

The computer program is called Vision. It has a setting where you can put it in record/hold, and when a note is struck, the recording begins.

I was able to get it to record what I play on the keyboard, but I can't hear the drums, which are in the JV -800. I should be able to:

1. strike a key on the keyboard, which triggers a corresponding sound in the JV 880 (AKA a drum sound)

2. that key strike should also trigger the recording to begin in the Mac, so that upon playback, I can hear what I have recorded.

So far, I can either hear the drums when I hit the keys, or I can record the keystrokes without hearing the drum sounds, but I can't do both at the same time. When I hit playback, I can hear the drums but since I could not hear them during recording, well, it's like trying to record something without hearing what you are recording.

Hope that explanation works.

Bushice

Attachments

• set-up.jpg
    set-up.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 12
Chris,

I think I have it figured out. I needed to go OUT of the KYBD, to IN on the JV-880, from THRU of the JV 880, to IN of the midi controller.

That made it possible.

Actually, thanks for asking those questions. It gave me the idea of what to try :)

bushice

Back