For once it's not a question

ste20man

Hi,

I've asked loads of questions here before as I too am really only just getting going. It's an ace site an I gonna keep using it to ask questions as and when they come.

I've finally got something solid to contribute although it's been said one hundred times before. The thing that I've found amazing is treating my room. It's 11' X 11' X 8' and so has terrible bass issues etc. I decided to do some work.

I put a superchunk floor to ceiling(front face 2.83' wide) either side of the desk, I put bass traps behind the seating position as well as the first reflection and one above the seating position.

Up until this point I was almost going to give up trying to mix. It was really beginning to get to me because I just couldn't hear anything. I was getting one note bass, there was no separation at the bottom. It made it unmixable. You just couldn't do anything.

After the room treatment was in it was a whole different story. Everything was clear and precise. It's finally got to the point where I feel exited about the whole process again. It took a lot of work and £200 but I swear to god with even the limited knowledge of room treatment that I have, I would suggest that everybody to do it.

If before was an environment that was 3/10 this made it 8/10. It's like going from an old Noki a 6310i to an iphone4 or galaxy S2, just a different world.

That's my 2 cents worth, hope it helps someone go for it if they are on the edge deciding whether to or not.

Good one! Thanks for posting your success story. :)

I'm currently trying to evaluate what I'm hearing. My monitors sound good, but I know that the sound still isn't reliable. I downloaded a test file for the tricky bass frequencies and it's pretty revealing. Play it through headphones and it sounds level and even all the way through (which it is). But play it through the monitors and it's a whole different story! It sounds like somebody is winding the volume knob up and down as various frequencies either bounce and reflect or get absorbed. :(

Here's the file (and others) for anybody interested Grab the LFSineTones file to test Low Frequencies . Mike Senior's book is a good read too.

I've been experimenting with moving the monitors around and hanging a few crude baffles up (blankets, mattresses and the like) but bass is notoriously difficult to tame, so the results have been very patchy. I also can't tell whether it's all down to the room, or whether the monitors themselves may have areas of some weakness too (which is apparently likely with ported monitors, although that effect is probably pretty small). I got some good results by putting a single speaker in a sort of tunnel of mattresses - not at all practical of course, but enough to convince me that doing something like you've just done should be worth the effort.

Could you post some more details of what you built please? Where you found the plans, materials used, design, etc. Pics would be good too. :)

Cheers,

Chris

I'll try and put something together as soon as I can. In a bit of a mixing frenzy at the mo. It was actually the Mike Senior book mixing secrets for the small studio that pushed me to do it. A quote I can remember is that 'If you don't treat your room you are throwing away half the cash value of your monitors'. I can say, now that I've done it, I would say that doesn't even come close to the effect it achieves. That is a great book.

I'll get back with what I have done as quick as poss, it was all DIY. Hope your project keeps going forward, cheers, Ste. :guitar:

Back