For anyone with doubts about Sonar

Janic

I've been reading a few threads on here this morning.

I'd just like to reassure many of you beginners about Sonar. I remember the dark old days when I had absolutely no idea about computers. It's worrying, I know.

I'm a full time composer and I've been using Cakewalk solidly since version 6 of Pro Audio. I have worked extensively with Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase, all of which are also excellent. But if you gave me the choice of any software on the market and any computer I would choose Sonar 2 any day of the week without a moment's hesitation.

And especially for beginners, you will find that Cakewalk's help desk is second to none. The biggest tip I can give anyone is to read your manual. All of it. If you're having problems, it's because you've overlooked something or your machines are at fault.

;-)
Jani

Sonar has been a godsend to me. I come from a 3D graphics background and I slid into the Sonar interface without a glitch. I think this may be the turn off for some, the interface can be intimidating, but the help and manual are quite detailed and useful, I actually hardly even opened them when I got started. GO SONAR! :cool:

>Sonar has been a godsend to me

It's not often I actually want to buy a stranger a beer, but if I met the guy who invented slip editing I'd be willing have a go at picking the lock of the vault that is my wife's purse.

>Buy the man a drink and increase hit post count

Haha! Or better still you buy me one! I like it mate ;-)
Hey. Newbies RULE.

And it's full of positive surprises too! I've been using Sonar and Sonar 2XL for about 8 or 9 months...ALOT...And I still stumble on lot of useful features and processes. And I read most of the manual when I got it. There's just so many possibilities, and that must be your motivation when you're learning it, because it's worth the effort of really absorbing it. Once you understand the program's logic (and it really is quite practical) you'll be flying around the interface.

Alright back to bed. Have fun!

PS. Janic you don't work for Cakewalk do ya ?

Just kidding. ;)

No I don't!

I was thinking the first posting might appear like that!
It's just I was reading a few of the posts one morning and it seemed a lot of people were worried about whether the program actually worked! I was hoping to reassure folks that it's a great product.
You know I was just looking at Cakewalk Home Studio before. It looks like 12 Tone Systems Inc is contemplating world domination. Perhaps we should buy Cubase just to stop them getting a complete grip on the market. I don't see how anyone can compete!
;-)

Janic wrote:

It's not often I actually want to buy a stranger a beer, but if I met the guy who invented slip editing I'd be willing have a go at picking the lock of the vault that is my wife's purse.
:D

Funny isn't it, no matter what country you come from its the damn same everywhere. You go to work and "she" won't let you spend your money on what you want. Apparently, the childrens clothes and food come before recording and music equipment. Honestly, some peoples sense of priorities:rolleyes: And you are right too about slip editing. And you could add envelopes to that as well.

:D :D Good post Janic, we like having group hugs and patting ourselves on the back for making a good buying decision.:D

BTW, Helsinki is a stunningly beautiful place imho. I stayed at the SAS hotel in the city, by the harbour last year. One of the many SAS hotels that is;)

And envelopes, yes

You know, I've started playing guitar again now that I know how to slip edit things and apply a cross fade - call me a moron, but I don't use the crossfade option. I like doing each clip's envelopes on their own.
Then , if you copy and drag a segment of a clip, it's possible to slip edit the new clip BACK OUT to as long as the whole original take, if you like. Jesus! It's almost science fiction!
I haven't used Sound Forge in months. When I think of how much time I spent making, actually inferior, loops with SF and CWPA..

Bit off topic, but I didn't know there was an SAS hotel near the harbour here. I must get out more! But then again I suppose everything is quite near a harbour in the City centre. Yeah, it's nice enough here. I like it and I love my wife ;-)

Good thread - what about this?

Hey,

Good thread for us newbies, especially recording virgins. I've done enough reading etc. to want to go with Cakewalk on my Win system. One question though (uh-oh!). I know this probably exists in this BB Universe somewhere 30 times over but I haven't found it... How about the question of whether a newbie goes with Home Studio vs. SONAR?

Needs? Well, basic. I want to do a non-pro home studio, basic recording right now (not a lot of flash), probably more involved later. Mostly to get the feet wet before going onto Bigger & Better. I'm primarily a keyboardist, so familiar with MIDI and actually have done a few small board projects w/others. But this is my first attempt to go digi (I'm up on computer experience). I guess the main thing is, would it be worth it to pay the extra jack for SONAR or go with Home Studio to "learn on." My utterly needing-to-be-more-informed opinion is to just go with the SONAR so I'll have it. But if I can port my Home Studio projects into SONAR with few problems, I might tend to spend the less $ right now.

Anyway thanks for patience w/ either a very common or very generic (or both!) question. Thanks for the help (or for pointing me to good refs), and I'll be glad to send a few more boring details if you want. Again, good thread!
MikeAustin

Hello Mike
I would tend to agree with Moskus. Home Studio looks fantastic value and very powerful. Not so far removed from Sonar anyway. I would say go for it.

moskus,

Perfect. Thanks. I didn't see this on the Cakewalk site. Helps a lot. And I have no

Jani,
Msg. received! Of course I'll do a bit more reading but I appreciate your comments and cheering on. I like your encouraging style.

Looks like HS is what I want at this point; wish it had the SMPTE but other than that I think it looks great. Otherwise I'll be doing some final checking.

Do either of these products have a money back guarantee if you're don't make a million off your recordings within 6 months? Just checking...

MikeAustin

Janic said:
The biggest tip I can give anyone is to read your manual. All of it. If you're having problems, it's because you've overlooked something or your machines are at fault.

RTFM...

I'm always please to say that out loud. :D SONAR rulez. I use Cakewalk since 1995, Version 2. MIDI things. Till now SONAR 2 XL. GOD BLESS Cakewalk... :cool: And anyone said this mama ain't doing professional, go get life... or Kazza.
;)

MikeAustin said:

Do either of these products have a money back guarantee if you're don't make a million off your recordings within 6 months?

Nope, but they promise you'll get Canadian beer on a local bar...:D

Hi Mike,

We have the technology to rebuild you;)

Once upon a time I started out with Cakewalk Guitar, then Cakewalk Express 8.0, then HS2002 and before too long will go to Sonar XL. Each step along the way I have gone through the learning curve required and progressed at a rate that suited me. And here's the good thing - Cakewalks upgrade policy means that you get to save money by going the step at a time route.:)

For me to jump in with both feet first was too big a jump for me. HS2002 does a fantastic amopunt, it just limits you to two track recording at a time, say one midi (keyboard?)and a mono audio (vocal?) If that is not an issue for you then I would suggest HS2002 to start with.

For me it was a choice of inputs and outputs as I see no really big difference between the two. My soundcard has 8 ins and 8 outs, and I wanted to be able to use them all...

And HS2002 doesen't have dual monitor support, which is a shame, really! It's the most usefull upgrade I've done :p (really!).

And I don't think HS2002 supports dual processors. Does it?

Paul,

Very good personal info, just the kind of "testimony" I'm looking for, thanks! Based upon this and the other helpful advice I've gotten here, seems as if the good folks lean toward "buy what you want to handle sooner rather than later" which is what I think I'll do w/HS. Probably if I need enough professional tweaking the studios around Austin have lots of SONAR use, and at least HS will allow me to try to talk on the same page as the prof's.:cool:

James, regarding that Canadian beer, I'm sure many folks I met while going to school at Michigan probably would have paid a million for one of the White North brews! :D

Thanks, guys!

MA

And HS2002 doesen't have dual monitor support, which is a shame, really! It's the most usefull upgrade I've done :p (really!).

Well, I would like to know what multiple monitor support is all about then - I have 2 monitors and can maximize HS2002 so it spans both screens...

And I don't think HS2002 supports dual processors. Does it?

Thats not really up to the program - only any NT based OS supports dual processors. Sonar does not know what to do with a 2nd CPU any more than HS2002 does...

Well, I would like to know what multiple monitor support is all about then - I have 2 monitors and can maximize HS2002 so it spans both screens...
Ahhh, I can do that aswell, but can you "Enable floating"? ;)
Is it an ATI card?

Thats not really up to the program - only any NT based OS supports dual processors. Sonar does not know what to do with a 2nd CPU any more than HS2002 does...
Not always true. Cakewalk says (here) that Sonar is optimized for multi-processors, I didn't find this for HS.

A program that is optimized for multi-processoring makes better use of multiple processors (obviously ;) ), than a program that is not optimized for it (I used to have dual processors, but the computer was stolen during my vacation). But as you say Brzilian, you have to use Windows 2000, XP or NT.

moskus said:
Ahhh, I can do that aswell, but can you "Enable floating"? ;)
Is it an ATI card?

Not always true. Cakewalk says (here) that Sonar is optimized for multi-processors, I didn't find this for HS.

A program that is optimized for multi-processoring makes better use of multiple processors (obviously ;) ), than a program that is not optimized for it (I used to have dual processors, but the computer was stolen during my vacation). But as you say Brzilian, you have to use Windows 2000, XP or NT.

If you mean the parent-child relationship between HS2002's main window and sub windows, yes HS has some of those features. Any type of DXi plugin window is not limited to the confiment of HS's main program window.

Back