for all you pedal users............

gitrguy87

For all of you out there who ue pedals, which to you prefer? A lot of different pedals, or a multi-effects processor?

gitrguy87 said:
For all of you out there who ue pedals, which to you prefer? A lot of different pedals, or a multi-effects processor?
I used a big pedal board a long time ago, and tried the first Digitech processors that came out, which disappointed me. I haven't played around with any of them since, but I've heard from others who swear by them for live use. I don't know of many who record with them, however...

I like my digitech, because it saves me a lot of money and a lot of hassle.

However, if I had enough cash I would definately buy all the little pedals in the world. It's much easier when you're trying to find new ideas to just hit a phaser pedal and echo instead of going into your multieffects pedal and fiddling with 50 different options.

Then again, the multieffects also has the advantage of being easier to switch... but yeah, I'd still prefer a bunch of little pedals, but I'd buy some new guitars/amps long before that. Gotta have priorities.

Ahem, I believe the correct terminology is "stomp box."

Or as the manager of one of my old bands used to call them, "those step-on things." :D

Last edited:
I had an older Digitech multi fx unit and I was pretty disappointed in it also. I've still got a few Boss pedals that I got at around the same time and they're still kicking. I use them every time I play, several times a week.

I suppose you can just ask youself "am I going to buy $400 worth of pedals?". If so, then go with a multi-effects. Otherwise, just buy the effects that you will use instead of having a $400 effects unit that you use 10% of the features on.

Tadpui said:
I had an older Digitech multi fx unit and I was pretty disappointed in it also. I've still got a few Boss pedals that I got at around the same time and they're still kicking. I use them every time I play, several times a week.

I suppose you can just ask youself "am I going to buy $400 worth of pedals?". If so, then go with a multi-effects. Otherwise, just buy the effects that you will use instead of having a $400 effects unit that you use 10% of the features on.
At one time I had Metal Zone Distortion, Overdrive, Digital Delay, Chorus, Compression/Sustain, Flanger, Phaser, a noise gate a volume pedal and a crybaby wah on my board. That's well over $1,000. I still preferred it to that digitech processor because they were buttons and knobs, and not 40 levels of menu to go through to change them, or turn them off. I had a power conditioner on the board too. It was pretty fancy for the time. I guess I still prefer the old way...

When you want to fiddle around with knobs to find a sound you like, pedals are the way to go....But once you have a sound you like on a multi-fx processor...it's always there and ready to go. But...With pedals, you can mix and match effects - you're not stuck with a chorus you don't like because you like all the other effects.

I've happily used my old ART SGX 2000 mulit fx processor for many years, but occasionally think that pedals would be easier. It's the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome.

well, for me, most of the multi processors are all digital, and that's not as bueno. The majority of my pedals are analog, and they just sound much better to me. Now that's an opinion, but one made through years of playing and listening. Also, it is easier to replace one bad pedal than a multi effects unit.

Finally, I don't use that many pedals, and most multi effects units are over kill. I'd rather have one unit designed for its specific purpose.

rock on

bford

well, for me, most of the multi processors are all digital, and that's not as bueno.

The aforementioned SGX 2000, and I'm sure other multi boxes, have both analog & digital fx. Ironically (or not) I get the most warm sounding distortions come from the digital distortions.

Tried both

I dug the mutli-effects pedal thing a while back because I was trying to reduce clutter, save time and save money on patch cables, batteries, etc. but there's was no comparison to what I was getting out of traditional stomp boxes.

My signal path is very simple now and I get tons of compliments and inquiries about my stage set up:

Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Fulltone Fulldrive II, Boss DD-3 into a Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo.

Mutli-effects are very useful in the studio; when recording I split the signal with an A/B switcher -- A) goes to the amp, miked, B) goes to a box like the Yamaha DGStomp (via SPDIF). At the end of the day I can choose to use either track, blend together, etc.

check this out...

bford said:
Also, it is easier to replace one bad pedal than a multi effects unit.

my rythym guy had one of those digitech things RP200 maybe, one with the expression pedal, anyhoo i hated this thing he was always switching and bragging about how these were th perfect sounds, when in reality it was total crap, at least his was, then he goes out and buys a Peavey EFX amp where all this same stuff is in the amp also, but he never uses the amps effects ...well a cpl weeks ago his awesome effects pedal just went out totally ...i'll admit i was a happy camper to say the least ....so now he has a useless peice of metal ...i told him before he bought it buy 2 or 3 pedals that you need cause if it goes out you lose them all ...and to beat it all he didn't even know how to run the amp the bass player and i had to figure out how to program the presets ...at least his tone is better now :D

I've Always picked stomp boxes over big digi boards. When it comes down to it, If one pedal craps out, you can replace it, instead of the big hunk of junk. I've always found it easyer to work with switches and the like, when they were infront of me, (same in my studio), instead of having a million styles of chrous, a millions styles of reverb all crammed into a little LCD screen, that if it breaks your screwed.

- Idgeit

Idgeit said:
I've Always picked stomp boxes over big digi boards. When it comes down to it, If one pedal craps out, you can replace it, instead of the big hunk of junk. I've always found it easyer to work with switches and the like, when they were infront of me, (same in my studio), instead of having a million styles of chrous, a millions styles of reverb all crammed into a little LCD screen, that if it breaks your screwed.

- Idgeit

A year or so ago I started getting worried about that very thing....I was so dependent on my multi fx box that if it crapped out I was screwed....so I bought a spare one cheap off of ebay. I can sleep better now. :)

I've also overcome the paradigm that it's multi fx OR pedals. For years I hated the chorus in my fx, so finally I just bought a separate pedal. Same with the compressor.

i have never had a pedal crap out.

not a rule but a guideline:

the more things a piece of equipment can do, the less well it does each thing.

One mo tin'

Oh yeah, forgot to mention if you accidentally unplug a stomp box, you just plug it back in and your sound is back (and they run on battery power too).

Many (if not all) multi-effects units only run on AC power, and if you lose power, the unit needs to "reboot" which takes a while. By the time you're back up and running, the song is over. Major bummer during performances.

Rez :eek:

well, here's my pedal board setup

sennheiser ew172 wireless -> boss compressor -> boss tu-2 tuner -> boss blues driver -> ibanez ts9 tubescreamer -> boss chorus -> dunlop wah -> line6 dl4 delay -> morley volume -> boss rc20 loop station

so i've got a lot of stuff on there. i pick and choose my pedals carefully. i think each of these pedals does what i want it to do and does it well. if i was to get a multieffects processor i don't think i could get all the effects the way i want them. i guess its more expensive the way i do it. i've probably got $2k in my pedal board. but for me it was the only way to get the tone i wanted with versatility.

Back