Football + Mic = survial?

Juggernaut

Alright, heres my problem: I'm doing a documentary on A football teem and need some quality audio (I'm looking to sell this), I had the Idea of getting a relitivly cheap wireless lavalier mic system and puting it in a players helmet (with all proper permision of coaches etc of course).

My question is would a wireless system like this be durable enough to survive :eek: ? Any recomendations on systems that are this durable? :confused:

Any experience with these would be very helpfull, as I need to get started very soon.

Woooo booy. No way in hell do I see that working. I see nothing but utter disaster and nightmare. The kind of setup that you see on NFL films and what not is a very specialized -- and I would imagine expensive -- setup.

You're in New Orleans, I see, which just happens to be kind of an exploding film and production community right now. I would recommend contacting some of the location sound rental shops around and tell them your situation and see what they might recommend. Right now, your best bet is likely to be a boom mic.

Well I could see the druability problem not being with the mic but with the transmitter, not just in its durability but also positioning it so it doesn't represent an additional injury risk. There could also be league rules regarding players wearing transmitters or recievers during games.

I would search the web on the subject of theatrical micing. They have some very discreet microphones and transmitters.

First of all the NFL can't even get the in helmet mic and speakers working properly, hell the refs can't even get good results 100% of the time with wireless mics. I played football for years at an extremely competitive school and got knocked around by some big ass dudes. One time I was playing on the kickoff team and you're job is to stay in your lane run down the field and hit the guy with the ball. I got about a 40 yard head start on the kick returner and decided I was taking his head off. I hit him and full speed with the crown of my helmet to his(big no no). I rolled off him with snot covering my facemask, I had hit him so hard it literally knocked the snot out of me. My point is I doubt a wireless mic not made especially for football would hold up on the field.

I've heard that soccer matches are recorded with a whole bunch of shotgun mics lined up round the edges of the playing field and the mixes are faded in/out according to the action on the field in post production. This would be expensive as hell though, but should work with pretty much any field sport.

Thanks for the Replies. The reason for the wireless mic would be to get the banter on and off of the field from key players who I will be following in the documentery. It seems like it would be way too difficult to have several shotguts following these players at all times, plus I dont know how well the shotguns would catch the speach on the field. If its the only way then thats what I will have to do but I'd rather not.

A mic on the coach would be alright though right? :o

Thanks

Innovations said:
If the coach agrees, not every coach wants his style broadcast to the world.

Yeah he agrees he's the one who commisioned me for the documentary. Mind you of course I'm not doing an NFL team. :p

Back