Focusrite VcoiceMasterPro

Kryogh

The store just called me, they received my unit! I'll get it tonight around 6hPM..and I have a 3h jam session vith my band. So i'll be back in the studio around 9h30...........aaaagrrrrrrrrrrr cant wait anymore!heeeeeeehehuhuohu

uh. Ok thats all. sorry.

see ya

You will be very happy with the unit. However, start with all the modules switched out and work with the pre amp first. Then move on to the next module and so on. It is a complicated unit with some killer sounds. But,you will not be happy if you tear the box open and twiddle knobs in a hurry.
Just warning ya..................Take your time before judging this unit.

acorec said:
You will be very happy with the unit. However, start with all the modules switched out and work with the pre amp first. Then move on to the next module and so on. It is a complicated unit with some killer sounds. But,you will not be happy if you tear the box open and twiddle knobs in a hurry.
Just warning ya..................Take your time before judging this unit.

Completely agree on this. Start with just the preamp sound and relish in the warmth. My favorite sections in order of usablility:

The preamp
The latency section
The expander
The compressor
Tube warmth
Vintage section

The compressor is really more effective on instruments and not so much on vocals in my experience. The preamp followed by the RNC is a thing of beauty.

I agree with Middleman. This unit has modules that shine depending on what you are recording. Learn each module with different sources. Some modules do great with vocals. Some do great with synths. You do not have to use every module with every source! This unit is very powerfull. I find with each source that I am recording new configurations. It will take time to really understand how to use this unit. I think this unit is going to go down in history as one of the greats.

Kryogh,

I use my voicemaster pro almost all the time for snare. The expander gives exceptional issolation, and the rest of the unit (tube, eq, vintage, etc.) gives a huge amount of flexibility for getting just the right sound. If I had two (hmm . . .) I would definitely use it for the kick as well (I currently use a grace 101 for this).

Solafide said:
Kryogh,

I use my voicemaster pro almost all the time for snare. The expander gives exceptional issolation, and the rest of the unit (tube, eq, vintage, etc.) gives a huge amount of flexibility for getting just the right sound. If I had two (hmm . . .) I would definitely use it for the kick as well (I currently use a grace 101 for this).

Thx for the awnser m8, I'm trying all this today or tomorrow. I didnt have time to check all this yesterday, thats why I asked :)

I finally got around to using the Vocalmaster Pro on drums. I have been trying very hard to get the drums right. I have an AlesisDM5 drum module. The sounds are great but it never really sounds like a real drummer. So, this weekend I decided to try using a great MIDI track of a Rush song. I recorded each individual drum part through the voicmaster. It took some time to get every part sounding great. In the end, the whole drumpart (13 tracks!) sounded unreal. My Ddrummer was amazed. He has heard this drum module many times. The Voicemaster made the drums sound so real. I now have my answer. It does an amazing job.
To give credit where it is due, the MIDI programmer did an amazing job also. I am very happy and think that the Focusrite is worth its weight in gold. Before everybody jumps in, I have an RNP. It does not do for drums what the Focusrite does. Not even close...

acorec said:
Before everybody jumps in, I have an RNP. It does not do for drums what the Focusrite does. Not even close...

If you're not micing the drums, I wouldn't expect that it would.

Drums are arduous, at best, in a digital world.

I have wanted to rant and rave about the VMPro for months because frankly, I think it is one of the best preamp and channel tools, $500-$600 range, in the market place. But the proponents of the RNPs are many and tend to drowned out the rest of the options available. The only exception to this would be the Envoice which I have not used but hear great things about. Not that the RNP is not an effective preamp, its just not as versatile as the VMPRO.

Middleman said:
Drums are arduous, at best, in a digital world.

I have wanted to rant and rave about the VMPro for months because frankly, I think it is one of the best preamp and channel tools, $500-$600 range, in the market place. But the proponents of the RNPs are many and tend to drowned out the rest of the options available. The only exception to this would be the Envoice which I have not used but hear great things about. Not that the RNP is not an effective preamp, its just not as versatile as the VMPRO.
I only know what I use. You bring up a good point. I have both units. If you read most of the posts, you will see that many people who bash others in favor of the RNP have never used one. I see it all the time. The RNP is a great low cost pre. I know this because I have one and use it often. It does not compare with the focusrite. It is Realy nice (RNP). No doubt. But, I am using the focusrite more and more. I wish I could afford more of them. I only know what I use. The FR has solved many of my problems. I spend much more time in the studio because of it.

acorec said:
The RNP...does not compare with the focusrite.

To be fair, you're comparing the proverbial "apples and oranges". Your example of how the Focusrite is much better than the RNP on MIDI drums doesn't even involve using the RNP (i.e. the Really Nice Mic Pre) as a mic pre. It's kind of like saying the Lexicon MPX100 is a much better unit than either the Focusrite or the RNP because the reverbs are better.

hey good idea. I also own a DM% and I often trig some kick drums for metal bands. But I have a LOT of EQ to do to make it sounds real. NExt time, I'll record the trigged kick via the Focusrite VMPro.

Thx!

jslator said:
To be fair, you're comparing the proverbial "apples and oranges". Your example of how the Focusrite is much better than the RNP on MIDI drums doesn't even involve using the RNP (i.e. the Really Nice Mic Pre) as a mic pre. It's kind of like saying the Lexicon MPX100 is a much better unit than either the Focusrite or the RNP because the reverbs are better.
Here we go again. "Apples and Oranges". I ask you, why do so many people always come back and compare the FR with the RNP? The FR is a better MIC PRE-AMP. I use both. You are right. You cannot compare them. But, if pure Mic Preamp is what you are comparing, turn all of the modules off on the FR. It is a better preamp.

acorec said:
Here we go again. "Apples and Oranges".

Huh? :confused:

The FR is a better MIC PRE-AMP.

Glad you like it. The platinum range stuff I've tried sounded rather shitty. Either they've recently upgraded the pre's in these things (nobody seems to know whether they have), or our tastes are quite different.

I am not familiar with past products. I really just record for myself now. I am not flaming anyone. I have a fairly high end studio and maybe my opinions are based on what equipment I have. I have recorded and played pro for many years. I am not an equipment freak. The thing that gets me is that so many people post that this pre is sooo much better than that pre because the BBS says so. I just buy what solves my problems. If an ART pre would solve my problem, so be it. I have used the FR now for a couple of weeks and treaded the same old ground. I find that it solves my problems. Hey, that's all I know. The FR is a really good piece of gear. People are paying all sorts of money for old DBX stuff that I helped design. I think the old stuff is rubbish and never worked as intended. People found out years later that this old stuff is "great". Who do you listen to, one who helped design it, or the hundreds of posts of people who love it?
I do not know the answer.
I am only posting my experience. If it is of value to someone, then I am happy.

Ok, if we are going to get controversial, let's just sling some mud.

There are 3 great myths on this board.

1. The VTB-1
2. The C1
3. The RNP

None of these products are still in my arsenal. Bought em, tried em, and two of the three left me cold. Not extremely versatile across 20 songs I have recorded. In and of themselves they work fine for certain things, the RNP being probably the best and most versatile and quality sounding.

If I had $500 and it was between the RNP and the VMPro, well Focusrite gets my money on this one.

Come on, I'm ready, take a swing.

Are you ready for a swing? Good. I am in agreement with you.
I really like the FR. I think that the RNP is good. It is a good Mic pre. The FR is a better Micpre. So, the real question at the table is the FR worth the money compared to the RNP? The FR has many more modules than the RNP. It is different. I only say that if you are comparing the two for what they are, the FR has a better MIC PRE. The rest makes up the difference in the money. This BBS has so many people that listen to the masses going on an on about the RNP. It is almost a constant about what mic-pre should be bought. The RNP is good. Not great like so many glow about. It's cost justifys the unit. It flat out blows away something like the Blue Tube. I have both units and slowly reach for the FR time and time again. It is a great unit. It boils down to this, if you tried the FR in your studio instead of at the store and really got used to it, most people would probably love it.

jslator said:
or our tastes are quite different.
That's it right there. You just don't like the platinum range pres, but lots of people do. I don't know if they're better than the RNP, because I've never used them, but they sure beat the snot out of every other pre I've tried (Presonsus BlueTube, Joe Meek Mq3, Mackie, Fostex mixer).

cominginsecond said:
That's it right there. You just don't like the platinum range pres, but lots of people do.

As for "lots of people" liking them, I honestly don't think I had ever run across a person who liked them until I came here. Obviously, a lot of people here seem to like them.

But, I'm still trying to figure out if we're talking about 2 different things. The ones I've tried are brutal. You may have tried a different (newer) design. I can't find anything on Focusrite's website about it. Does anyone know the official Focusrite stance on the differences between the old line and the newer "pro" line? Do you find yours fairly noisy?

Back