FocusRite Scarlett and Powered Monitors

naftulikay

I'm putting my studio together, and at its core will be a Scarlett 18i8, and I'll have two powered Yamaha HS5s. The Scarlett will be taking in a Shure SM7B with a lifter for everyday stuff like taking video calls, podcasting/streaming, and occasional vocals. I have other mics more suited to acoustic instruments. My keyboard workstation will be sending stereo over two quarter inch cables to the back of the Scarlett. Eventually, I'll have a guitar modeler using two channels for stereo as well, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here.

I'd like to have an output setup to the monitors where I can use them as my default output from the computer, and have a headphone option where, if present, switches output to the headphones. I'm _thinking_ that I need to get a DAC for the monitors/headphones, but I'm concerned about the latency, because incoming audio over USB to the PC then out over USB to the DAC/monitors. When recording, I suppose I can just attach directly to the headphones input on the Scarlett.

Can anyone recommend a setup for what I need here? How should I drive my monitors as a default audio output from my computer, and should I get a DAC for this?

Attached are images describing two options. Option one seems unlikely due to added latency. Option two seems more promising but I don't know what the amp thing would be called and I'm having trouble searching for it. The device would need to accept a 1/4" TRS stereo input from the headphones output on the Scarlett, and would need to provide two XLR or 1/4" TS ports to the monitors in addition to a headphone out. It would be ideal if it automatically switched to the headphones when plugged in, and if it had the ability to control monitor output level and headphone output level separately.

What is it that I am searching for, am I heading in the right direction, or is there another way I should be thinking about this?

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 4
You might be over thinking this. Your OS can probably access the first two (software) outputs directly. The Focusrite control panel should allow you to assign those to the monitor and headphone hardware outputs. Then you could use the front panel controls to adjust the levels. Just turn the Monitor knob down when you are using headphones.

Naftulikay, What BSG says is exactly how my system is set up with a Tascam interface. Everything can go into the Tascam: mics, direct guitar, line in from a turntable/preamp, electric piano, drum Alesis drum machine, and goes to the computer if recording. Playback goes directly to a pair of JBL 308s, plus the headphone output on the front of the 16x08. A second pair of line outs goes to a ART Amp5 headphone amp for anyone else recording. Just turn down the speakers to listen to headphones, or turn down headphones if they aren't needed.

There's no need for a separate DAC

What they say above ^^

Plug all inputs into the Scarlett, and take all outputs from it. It has two headphone sockets on the front, plus the line outs out the back. If you don't get powered monitors, then you will need an amp. Monitoring your recording, listening to playback, and listening to PC audio generally (e.g. YouTube etc) can all be done through the Scarlett.

As the others say, that interface should serve you well for sometime without any additional gear. This>https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/focusrite-scarlett-usbc
should give you further insights. Also study the very powerful control software that Focusrite provide.

Whilst it is possible that you MIGHT want extra facilities such as a Monitor Controller* to provide speaker selection, mono checking etc in the future I strongly suggest you get to grips with the AI as is for a good while.

*But IF you do, study them well before jumping. Some cheap ass passive jobby will disappoint.

Dave.

Back