Focusrite Saffire any good?

Ricky Denim

Anyone here have experience with these?
Im currently using an Audiophile 2496 through a cheapo Alto 4 track mixing desk with a Studio Projects B1 condensor mic.
I'm not really satisfied with the sound the mic is presenting and i'm putting it down to the ALTO.

I've been looking at the Saffire to replace my current setup and most reviews comment on the warm tone it gives. I'd also be happy with the feedback reverb and built-in dsp.

Before i blindly purchase I just wanted to see if anyone here had experience with them or any other suggestions.

Cheers.

Hey Ricky,

I've had my Focusrite Sapphire for two years now, and I have loved working with it. The mic preamps are clean, and I absolutely love the fact that you can pump some reverb for a vocalist while keeping the resulting track "dry"...this really helps out the vocalists I've been working with.

One recent problem that occurred, however...I recently ran into issues where the output sounded "slow and distorted". Found out it wasn't the Focusrite itself, but after swapping out an old PCMCIA Firewire card in my laptop, it works good as new again. So just a head's up if you have a laptop configuration.

Hey thanks for reply!

Yeah i'm hoping to get a cleaner warmer sound than what im currently getting through the alot. Everyone says the audiophile 2496 is great and it might be, but id rather a all-in-one setup than spending money on a better quality mixer.

Plus its only 1 instrument at a time recording, so the I/O's the Saffire has is fine.

I've only JUST began mucking around with input monitoring in Sonar so i can record vocals with verb on it, but havent quite mastered it yet. I think the feedback verb on the Saffire will help me tons :)

Oh and thanks for the tip on firewire. I'm using PC and i have a port on the front of my case i've never used, so fingers crossed!

Back