Focusrite Platinum VoiceMaster

lbcstudios

Focusrite Platinum VoiceMaster .... my friend owns this pre.. he has no use for it, his uncle gave it to him.. he is willing to sell... what pres would u compare it to? good or bad? and what is the higest price i should settle for once the offers start? any comments wuodl be greatly appreciated asap, because i am going to check it out tomm. at 3 pm or so.. thanks everyone !

what if i got the unit for 100 bucks .... the condition is excellent.. maybe a SMALL scratch on hte top.. but perfect besides that? good deal? and how much do they retail, or used to retail for new? thanks

I fail to understand the criticism of Focusrite Platinum gear in these forums.

I suspect that some critics haven't spent the time to test the features or examine the sound closely. Unlike the ART preamp, which works on VCA chips, the Platinum series boasts its own coils at the input stage, and discrete componentry throughout - Class A design.

These are a class A solid state discrete componentry pre-amp. The Voicemaster has been recently superceded by the Voicemaster Pro, but both offer excellent value. Unlike later models, this model does *not* offer the digital output option (optional digital card for SP/DIF output).

I use two Focusrite Trakmasters (same Platinum product series), and they are quiet, clean, with good features and good value per dollar. The compression is subtle yet useable, the EQ is not noisy, the controls are smooth.

The Focusrite gear seems to get pretty good and consistent reviews from very many sources - go to http://www.focusrite.com/products/platinum/voicemaster/reviews.html
and see them in print - then decide for yourself.

$100 is a great price on this unit. At $200 you could easily resell it. Check ebay.com for current prices if you are in any doubt.

I use the Voicemaster Pro on a regular basis so you won't find me beating up the Platinum line too much. The regular Voicemaster leaves a little to be desired on its effects, they are not that functional, however the basic preamp holds up on things. The compressor in this unit is why it gets such a bad rap.

The Trackmaster has the same preamps as the Voicemaster Pro and these higher end and more recent units are top quality in value and sound.

That said, it is a good value at $100. You're not going to find anything better except possibly a RANE preamp under $300.

hey guys i did a test... i put the platinum voicemaster... behringer preamp form my mixer.. and the digi 002 pres ( focusrite also) ... heres how i rannked them...

1) focusrite platinum .... its sorta tied with the digi 002 pres, but i liked the tube option.. so its 1 on my list.

2- a close second is the 002 pres... without the platinum effects, they are the same sounding.

3 - behr wasnt alllll that bad.... it wasnt as full, and the high were brittle compared to the focusrite..

so i think i may buy it for 100. thanks for the help.. and i hope this has helped anyone ^^^. peace.

there is nothing "wrong" with the Focusrite platinum series. They don't sound "bad", but they certainly don't sound "great" either. Personally, I think they are priced just right. Not your super cheap stuff, but not expensive either for what you get. As far as "class A" goes. So what? There are plenty of things out there that work really well that aren't, and plenty of things that are class A that don't sound so hot. They are pretty quiet, and are definately usable, but they don't really stand out to me. They just seem a little bland when compared with nicer pre's etc... Of course, they should be or else Focusrite would have to drop their ISA and RED lines.

$100 though? In a heartbeat:)

i own the voicemaster and will say allthough it is a little "dark" sounding..
as far as an entry level vox strip goes that unit kicks some serious ass!
rendering even a 57 vocal into something warm, compressed and intelligible.
Id buy it if i were you.
peace.

I've had a Voicemaster for a few years. While there are other pres that have come out since it was first marketed, that are better, I think it is very functional. I agree that I don't understand why it gets bashed on this site (although the original street price may have been too high - however, that was before sthe Grace and RNP were around) - so It was likely a "fair price" at the time.

If I could get one in the $100 -$200 range I would likely jump on it.

although i do not own a voicemaster, i recently bought a Focusrite Penta for 250 euro's and i have to say i am very pleased with it. it doesn't make everything sound better, but what it does do is amplify what you've got very cleanly. i've used it with excellent results on vox and bass di.

thomas

More often then not, people don't like to admit their purchase was a mistake. I own the Focusrite Platinum Pro. I've been very dissapointed with this unit.
It's not bad with my acoustic guitar but I think it sucks on vocals. I've tried several mics. I am looking to sell it.

steve350 said:
More often then not, people don't like to admit their purchase was a mistake. I own the Focusrite Platinum Pro. I've been very dissapointed with this unit.
It's not bad with my acoustic guitar but I think it sucks on vocals. I've tried several mics. I am looking to sell it.

Is that the Twintrak or Voicemaster PRO?

steve350 said:

If you think that the Platinum Pro sucks, you have big problems with something else like your mixer,monitors or your room acoustics. I have Avalons, Great River, Joe Meek, Platinum Pro, RNP, DMP3. Of all these, I go to the Platinum Pro %75 of the time for vocals. I am only suggesting you check your signal chain before you sell. You may just not like the VM Pro, or you may spend more on something else to get the same results. The VM Pro as a vocal pre-amp is right up there with the higher buck units.

I would have to concur on the comparison. I use a Great River regularly alongside the Voicemaster Pro and experience the same thing. If you want a vocal punched up and in front of the mix the VM Pro is a go to preamp. If you want it slow and detailed the Great River gets the task.

I am suprised you think the Focusrite is so bad unless the unit is bad or you don't have it dialed in correctly.

Thanks for the input. I am using a Korg D1600 Multi track recorder. I have my Focusrite going directly into that. My monitors are Fostex PM-1's and the vocal mic I've been using is the AKG-3000B.

Back