Focusrite ISA one

I gave Focusrite the mental boot years ago. If nothing else, almost anything is going to be a rather huge step up from what you're using (geez, I don't mean to sound harsh, but those penta/platinum things are just awful... Can't believe they actually put the word "Focusrite" on them).

Budget-friendly -- Grace m101, True P-Solo (a personal favorite), FMR RNC.

Much nicer without breaking the bank -- API (the A2D is a hidden gem), Great River, so many others. Even the Focusrite (the relatively "real" stuff anyway) isn't too bad.

King of all mic pres -- Crane Song Flamingo. Freakishly amazing if it's in the budget.

thanks for the advice thats really helpful! :) its just i would like something with a compressor on it, as i dont own any outboard units, and sometimes alot of vocalists i record with shout alot so i need real time compression

Im interested in the Grace, FMR an Great River, did you mean the FMR RNP when you mentioned it?

Is the FMR pre amp really different league to the pre on the focusrite VMP?

I could pick up an FMR RNP on ebay for $480

Last edited:
I could pick up an FMR RNP on ebay for $480

You can get it at humbuckermusic.com new for $475, free shipping, and when i bought my rnc from them they included two cables -- I got my choice of xlr or 1/4"

And I have to reiterate -- If your levels are so hot that a simple shout requires compression then you need to back it down. It's not illegal. If your "normal" levels are "normal" (i.e., around -18 to -16dBFS) and a shout kicks in a compression circuit, that signal is already overdriving the input - And the compressor is lowering the level of an already distorted signal.

There's no prize for making input levels too hot - And your gear will thank you for cutting it back considerably. This is 24-bit digital audio here - WAY more headroom than any of the gear you're using I'm sure... Use it. It's worth it. You never "need" compression on the input stage unless you're doing something wrong.

Yes - The RNP is in another universe over the FR plat/pent goofiness.

I gave Focusrite the mental boot years ago. If nothing else, almost anything is going to be a rather huge step up from what you're using (geez, I don't mean to sound harsh, but those penta/platinum things are just awful... Can't believe they actually put the word "Focusrite" on them).

Budget-friendly -- Grace m101, True P-Solo (a personal favorite), FMR RNC.

Much nicer without breaking the bank -- API (the A2D is a hidden gem), Great River, so many others. Even the Focusrite (the relatively "real" stuff anyway) isn't too bad.

King of all mic pres -- Crane Song Flamingo. Freakishly amazing if it's in the budget.

I have and use the Focusrite VM pro. It is a great channel strip that is touchy at best. Once you learn it. it is very nice and clean. Misuse the other stuff and you are in trouble but quick.

Flame away as I need another one at a nice price!

Back