Focusrite 2i2, Rode NT5, Gear4Music Boom stand, and cable.

ZikO

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum.

I am building sort of small system to record participants' voices. I am rather new to audio stuff. Currently, I just need a stand with a mic clip, a mic for reference recording, an audio interface so that sounds can be recorded on PC or mac laptops, a cable XLR (M) - XLR (F)

Additionally I'd also opt for sE's Reflexion X but I guess the room I have to do recording in will be rather alive and I would not get any decent effect.

I would like to ask about reviews if the system based on equipment below can work:
* Mic: Rode NT5
* Mic stand: Boom Mic Stand by Gear4music
* Mic clip: Microphone Clip by Gear4music
* Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
* Cable: XLR (F) - XLR (M) Microphone Cable, 6m

Additionally I was thinking of:
* Isolation: Primacoustic VoxGuard Microphone Isolation Panel

Thank you

PS. I could not provide links.
PS2. perhaps in future I will try to get some panels to reduce the reverberation in the room.

Cannot fault much of that selection.

So glad you went for a small capacitor mic instead of the big, side address jobs! The latter have their place of course but can have a "character" that will suit some voices and not others. Small D caps are generally very flat and neutral. But do get a pop shield.

The "lively" room could be a problem and the Reflection filter gets a good rep'. However it is really only a neat and portable way to do what can be done with duvets and blankets!

You say "voices", is this mainly speech? If so your biggest problem is going to be "noises off" but don't think you can "proof" yourself from them, many of us just have to record at unsocial hours! Then you will need to do a lot of editing.

Dave.

Last edited:
If you are getting that mic new it will come with it's own stand mount/ mic clip. You shouldn't need to buy another one.

Hello again.

Really I appreciate your answers. I am so glad a pop filter and a stand mount come with it. I can save some money :)

I meant voices because speech is part of the project. I think I may need higher frequencies beyond speech (I guess it is more than 4kHz). And this is why I have chosen this mic. It's relatively cheap with good parameters, such as low selfnoise, high Max SPL, decent Signal to Noise Ratio, THD within acceptable range, etc.

Dave. I did not get what you mean about the reflection filter. Is it worth assembling this to a stand in a "lively" room?

Thanks.

This gives the filter a fair welcome..
SE Electronics Reflexion Filter

But you mentioned the possibility of "screens"? If you could beg or borrow some of those blue office dividers you could save even more dosh! You would probably need to throw some additional material over the screens and remember to have one at least behind the speaker since reverberated sound will arrive that way and into the front of the mic. The SoS review mentions this. In the studio world they are known as "GOBOs" and are pretty easy to make.

However, if this is a rig you will have to assemble and "strike" every time, the SE filter might be the quickest option.

Dave.

Back