flute recording

korman709

hi,im a flute player and i have a tascam dr05 for recording.my questions are these: do i need any compressor or limiter to cut the high frequencies?do i need an external mic or to use the onboard mics for best result?

give me any advice you think it could help me to record as im prepared for realising a demo single.sincerely emmanuel.

e.g. many greetings from greece!

Hi emmanuel.

A compressors/limiter will not cut high frequencies. They will reduce dynamic range.
An eq would be the tool for cutting high frequencies.
It depends what you're doing but I doubt you want to do either, to be honest.

As for the built in mics, I'm not familiar with them but it looks like they are a fixed stereo pair.
For that reason I wouldn't use them in a close up position like you might with a single mic on stage or whatever.

I'd probably point the handheld recorder straight at your face from a few feet back.
Make sure it's positioned flat so the two mic are pointing past your ears, if that makes sense.

As always, the bottom line is to try it and see what you think.
Record, listen, move - Record, listen, move.

Hi emmanuel.

A compressors/limiter will not cut high frequencies. They will reduce dynamic range.
An eq would be the tool for cutting high frequencies.
It depends what you're doing but I doubt you want to do either, to be honest.

thank you.

As for the built in mics, I'm not familiar with them but it looks like they are fixed in xy position.
For that reason I wouldn't use them in a close up position like you might with a single mic on stage or whatever.

alright,well my tascam recorder's mics are in AB pos.im not so satisfied with them,and i'd like to try another external mic.i have opened also another thread as i ask which mic to choose.thanks anyway !

e.g THIS IS A GREAT FORUM ! thank u guys for creating it.

well my tascam recorder's mics are in AB pos.

Haha. I caught that just a second too late. Same applies though.

If you want to try another mic, that's cool.
A lot of people like an LDC set back a bit. I'm not sure that's an option with your current equipment though.

Maybe something like an NT1a and a small USB audio interface would be the way forward?
That way you could record straight to a computer, if that's your goal.

Large condensor is a way to go, but I've also seen a "shotgun" (thin directional mic) from a medium distance. The closer mic picks up more breath noise, the more distant mic gets more room ambiance. I'd let the room determine the use.

Back