Flute Recording Experiences?

stephentedsmith

Recording Flute

I am about to record a flute and am interested to hear other peoples
experiences. Have done this once before using a pair of Studio Projects C4
mics. Theory was was have a very good room acoustically and a pair of
omni’s can provide a vibey and live feel to the recording.

Have thought about perhaps trying an omni condenser valve mic such as an
NTK.

ALT Recording Studios Brighton
www.altrecordingstudios.com

I've only had to record flute once, and it turned out great, but I was lucky to be tracking in a room with GREAT acoustics. I used a U87 a 2-3 feet over the flute pointed downwards.

I like to to use small diaphragm condenser microphones on the flute, positioned much as jay has already described. The reason is that these types of microphone tend to perform better at higher frequencies.

Also, if you have one available, try a ribbon microphone like the AEA R92, or a Coles 4038.

Cheers!

I ribbon or a multi pattern LDC in omni mode as a room mic type of set up. If the room doesn't sound very good well......It is going to be difficult.

I`ve recorded flute quite a few times, I first started out with a U87 above the flautist head, but after some advice I started and still use a SM57 with a pop filter, positioned as a live vocal mic.
Combined with a good tube pre it sounds great.

I was happy using a pair of Neumann KM84's - one near the hole where you blow into the flute and another about a foot above.

NTK, Gemeinhardt flute, 15 inches from mouthpiece, with a few blankets hung around for dampening. Add reverb later.

First, NTK is not an omni-it's cardioid only. Well I have no experience with a modern side blown flute, but a fair amount of experience with recorder, shakuhachi, and penny whistle. It still depends on the room. I've had my best luck with a coincedent (X-Y) stereo pair of small diaphragms, backed off 3-4 feet. The C-4's with the cardioid capsules work well for that. Like many stereo recordings, I've had good luck with a pair of AKG C2000B's, or a pair of Neumann KM184's. These are not necessarily the best mics on Earth for this, just the ones I have. There's no reason you couldn't use MXL 603's, Rode NT5's, AKG C451's, Shure SM81's, Earthworks, DPA, Shoeps, or whatever.-Richie

Back