Floyd Rose question

BluesJunkie

A few years ago I bought an HM Strat with a Floyd Rose from a friend. The Floyd never came back up completely after dipping it, and I would have to pull the bar up to make it be in tune. I only played the guitar a hand full of times and then sold it.

Recently I bought a Richie Sambora Strat, and I have the same problem with the Floyd on it. (although it the problem isn't near as bad as with the HM Strat)

Is this the way Floyds are supposed to be, or is mine screwed up?

Any suggestions for fixing the problem?

Last edited:
Sounds like the blades that pivot on adjustable columns have gotten worn out /flat.
If you can make your floyd do the "flutter effect" [Brad Gillis cricket thing] then you should be o.k, but it sound like the BLADES are flat/ worn etc.
I had a guitar that was so bad that I could damn near pull it into an alternate tuning lol,
Some floyds have the ability to PULL out the old blades and replace them, but before doing that I would take the unit off & see if it needs to be cleaned etc. some times you can get alot of crap in the fulcrum point and that can cause the problem.
Good luck
Shreadzilla

Try tightening the claw screws on the inside of the cavity. That should increase the tension thereby increasing the backward tension on the Floyd. That ought to work.

Also,

Try tuning it after dipping the bar. I.e., dip the bar, then tune the Strat. If you always pull up on the bar before you tune, the guitar will more naturally be in tune after the bar is pulled. Conversely, if you always dip the bar before tuning, the guitar will more naturally be in tune after the bar is dipped.

At least I've found that to be the case on my five axes with floating bridges.

(Damn. I've gotta get an axe with a fixed bridge to handle alternate tunings, broken strings, string gauge changes, etc. Anyone know of a PRS with a fixed bridge and a wide thin neck for sale?)
:D

Matt

Thanks. I've been working over-time, so I haven't had a chance to even look at the guitar. But, I should be able to fix the problem now.

Back