Floor tom rumble

ManInMotion711

Ive been playing drums for a while but i still cant quite figure it out. Everytime i hit my kick drum my floor toms rumble. Mainly the reso heads. I know theres no way to make it completely stop. But is there a way i can lessen it other than moon gel? As far as i know i have the reso heads tuned kinda low but not to low. Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated

Rather than attempting to mute the floor tom reso head, (which makes the drum sound dead,) I attempt to reduce the amount of energy reaching the floor tom.

This is one of those very dense memory foam pillows. Just don't allow it to touch either drum head.

tom_rumble.jpg

Rather than attempting to mute the floor tom reso head, (which makes the drum sound dead,) I attempt to reduce the amount of energy reaching the floor tom.

This is one of those very dense memory foam pillows. Just don't allow it to touch either drum head.

View attachment 83989
That's interesting. Never seen that done before

Drums rumble and shake. That's what they do. Sympathetic resonance just happens. The only way to stop it is to dampen or tune differently. Me personally, my reso heads are not tuned so low that they can ring uncontrollably when I smack the kick drum.

RD- ill give that a try and see how that goes, but when i start getting into and the drums start moving wouldnt it just fall out of place?

and Greg- So you suggest i tune the reso heads up a little bit? i have them pretty low but not low enough so if i was to hit them they wouldnt make a waffling sound like an untuned drum head

and Greg- So you suggest i tune the reso heads up a little bit? i have them pretty low but not low enough so if i was to hit them they wouldnt make a waffling sound like an untuned drum head

Yes, I think you should probably tighten the reso heads some. Not only will it boom less, I think tighter reso heads sound better overall than low tuned reso heads. The reso head tuned tighter than the batter yields a very musical and ear pleasing pitch bending tom tone.

Yes, I think you should probably tighten the reso heads some. Not only will it boom less, I think tighter reso heads sound better overall than low tuned reso heads. The reso head tuned tighter than the batter yields a very musical and ear pleasing pitch bending tom tone.

Sweet. Thanks as always :guitar: :D

Ok sorry im late...WTF is pitch bending tom tone and how does that sound pleasing?

When my drums make that 2 note bend I freakin want to smash my drums!!

I like a sharp attack with a nice controlled resonance that fades out smoothly.

Ok sorry im late...WTF is pitch bending tom tone and how does that sound pleasing?
It's like a doppler effect. It's musical. You hit the drum and it goes BaWoooooom, bending downward. Sounds awesome for toms, and it cuts through a recording or live mix better than a standard thud or open, matched tuning.

When my drums make that 2 note bend I freakin want to smash my drums!!

I like a sharp attack with a nice controlled resonance that fades out smoothly.

That's cool, to each their own.

You can get that same pitch bending thing by having the top head tuned higher than the bottom. For some reason, I prefer tuning that way.

Yes tighter bottom head!

As you can see, opinions are like assholes and you need to try it for yourself.

As you can see, opinions are like assholes and you need to try it for yourself.

lol!
I would make sure your using a good bottom head, and it baring surface is not sticky and all the hardware mountings are tight. then tune it. In a pinch on the road. I threw in 6-12 cotton balls after tuning (by sticking it in the little hole) if I didn't have the time to break down the drums and clean/tighten them.

Back