Floor Monitors advise

VartRecords

Floor Monitors recommendation

Will somebody tell me what is the setup for floor monitors in life performance...

- Should they be connected to separate "outs" on amplifier or mixer board, but if I don't have extra outs?
- Do they have to be connected in parallel to main (front) speakers, but I understand that total impedance will be changed in this case, and how it affect the total power and sound?
- And if they connected to main speakers how can I control their volume?
- Do they have to be with the same power range and impedance as main speakers?
- Any other issues or recommendations?

My setup for life performance is:

Yamaha XS350 amplifier and JBL SF-15 speakers.

Sorry if it's so complicated, and thanks in advance for you replies

Last edited:
Floor monitors would be run from an aux send on the console. From the aux out, into (preferably into a graphic EQ first) an amp, then to the wedges. Normally if you "daisy-chain" two wedges together, your going to cut your impedance in half, so be careful and don't blow the amps! Check your impedance and make sure the amps can handle it.

You definitely don't wat to run your FOH mix to the monitors... Your begging for feedback there...

Thanks Massive Master for reply.

So, do you mean that I need separate amp and EQ for floor monitors? With lower power?

And, I am sorry - what is the FOH mix?

Thanks again.

yes, it's generally a good idea to have a seperate power amp + eq for the monitor system.

FOH = Front Of House

And if your band members want diffrent mixes then one another you can use more auxs for diffrent mixes going to diffrent amp channels then the speakers.

I've seen some feedback protection deals that go into the rack. Do they get the job done? This might seem silly but is their any feedback with in ears? I'm guessing no.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Sorry for too many question, but I am pretty new in that. Recently I performed on New Year party, played saxophone with music background, using only two front speakers and without help of sound engineer, and could not hear well enough if I am playing too loud comparing to music background, and how much reverberation I have and how is the total sound, that I usually control all these parameters in my studio with the headphones.

Actually I need floor monitors only for singer or sax soloist, who should be able to hear what hi sings/plays together with the music background, and I am also curious how to eliminate microphone feedback in this case. Do this set (floor monitors with dedicated amp) should has less power than main front monitors?

For now (temporarily) I am using Tascam 424 MK3 portastudio as a mixer console, but intend to get 6-8 channel mixer for these events.
So let me ask this way:
If I have this mixer, Yamaha XS350 amplifier and JBL SF-15 front speakers (2x250 W) for playing in small and middle size clubs, what you can recommend for floor monitoring (amp/spkrs/wattage/connections/mixer)? Or any other suggestions...

Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a "cheap" fix with multiple uses, look for a powered monitor. Without researching, I know of several available. Mackie, Peavey, Yamaha, JBL, and others are out there.

For a super-cheap fix, and if sound quality isn't crazy important, you could probably get reasonable results from a bass or keyboard amp also. If you can send an aux signal to the "power amp input" (or equavalent), you've got it made. Plus, you've got a multi-purpose amp for other things.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

you might have a problem in that a sax is so loud it will tend to overpower the monitor mix, especially in a smaller space. What might work well for you (although it's a pricey option) is using some sort of in-ear monitoring.

Back