floating the walls

snapper

I'm building a room within a room and will float the inside
walls. I will be using 2'x4's for the top and bottom plates. Am I correct in understanding that I must use at least a 2" wide strip of neoprene rubber the entire length of the bottom plate. Or would I just cut it up and place squares of neoprene every 12 or 16 inches under the studs and then caulk all the gaps between the neoprene?
One more question. I found acousticsfirst.com and soundproofing.org sell neoprene. Can anyone tell me if there is aother source of affordable neoprene that would suit a floated wall?

I used ordinary roofing felt - bituminous to be exact and rolled it into strips 13 folds gives a metre long piece about one inch thick and 4" wide. I tacked these to the bottom of my wall plates 4 by 2s timber. I wanted to use neoprene but cash was short..

I record drums in said room and believe me this felt is not the weakpoint of the soundproofing - for me sealing doors aways is.To float all the walls and floor I used three 10 Metre rolls at less than £5 a roll (plus I literally covered the concrete sub floor in one inch thick felt). The room is tiny 7 foot 2” by 6 foot 3".

If you have the funds for neoprene it is better - but I have never seen any hard empirical evidence to prove that ;-).

Cutting your neoprene into pucks will definately save u cash and not compromise the design - see Auralex u boats etc. Silicone caulk the gaps and it's job done.Try http://www.kineticsnoise.com/floormount.html for some in depth acoustic floor info.

Cheers and let us know how it goes.

Yeah - that's a good idea transputer - we used rubber which we purchased in 3" x 1/2" in 50m rolls.

Yes you can use small pieces and fill the rest with an expandable seal.

cheers
John

Just so were on the same page here john, were talking about
the bottom plate for the wall? I'd just place a 3"x3" square of neoprene every 12", shoot a bolt thru the concrete, attach with a neoprene washer, and fill the gap between pads with expandable foam sealent. Btw thanks for the info transputer.

Silver bubble wrap?

A studio friend of mine has said that he got good results from a sort of bubble pack that is used for insulating hot water heaters, ducts and underneath hardwood flooring. The stuff is cheap and I am assuming available worldwide. It's silver in colour. I am considering 3" of this under a 6" wall and then caulking. Anyone had any experience with this product?

I found a company that sells neoprene direct for way cheaper than the "acoustic products" companys. There called http://binkelman.com and they sell direct and ship the same day. I received today a 24 square foot piece of half inch neoprene(60 durometer) for $135. Four square feet of 5/16" neoprene from acoustics first or any other place is about $90.

I found a company that sells neoprene direct for way cheaper than the "acoustic products" companys. There called http://binkelman.com and they sell direct and ship the same day. I received today a 24 square foot piece of half inch neoprene(60 durometer) for $135. Four square feet of 5/16" neoprene from acoustics first or any other place is about $90.

I would have though that hockey pucks were too dense to work well. Maybe the American pucks are softer than the Swedish ones...:)

Back