floating floors

jonothon

i'm just about about reached the point of installing floating floors in my studio, and I'm starting to wonder if there's a compelling reason to float the floor in the control room. I'm floating the floors in the piano room, drum (main room) room and iso booth. It sure would be faster, easier -- and cheaper -- to leave the control room alone.

by the way, my floating floor plan is to rip 2x4's in half to use as floor joists, put them in the Auralex U-boat neoprene thingys (16" or 2 feet spacing, i think) then 3/4" plywood, then 3/4 inch finished wood floor.

make sense?

oh, one more question. we've been gluing the *&$#@ out of everything. should we continue with the flooring? should the uboats be glued to the floor or just placed there?

Jonothon - If I remember right, you place is not part of a house but a separate building yes? In that case, if the isolation of the other rooms is good, the you may not need to float the control room.

by the way, my floating floor plan is to rip 2x4's in half to use as floor joists, put them in the Auralex U-boat neoprene thingys (16" or 2 feet spacing, i think) then 3/4" plywood, then 3/4 inch finished wood floor.

Have you tried this yet? I wonder about the flex of a ripped 2x4...

oh, one more question. we've been gluing the *&$#@ out of everything. should we continue with the flooring? should the uboats be glued to the floor or just placed there?

Glue away man! I ended up not gluing the neoprene pucks to the floor. There is no lateral force on them to speak of so why bother?

Kevin.

Don't forget a vapour barrier if required and you must put some insulation between the floor joists under the new floor. Yes glue away.:)

cheers
john

Some simple things to consider about floating floors, especially if you're putting hardwood on top. (Hindsight speaking here...)

Obviously they need to float. seems simple enough, but realize that NO points of the floor should touch the walls, trim work, baseboard heating system, etc. or things will squeak as the floor moves. The plumber put my baseboard heater touching the floating floor and it creaks a bit when you get near it. And in that it floats, it does move- and if it doesn't move as a whole it can cause the hardwood can squeak. I wish I'd put my joists 12" apart for more support, it can't hurt to add the extra mass as well.. I can't stress enough that you need a good solid floating foundation to lay the hardwood on to keep it quiet. I would not skimp on neoprene either, as the shorter the distance between them the less flex in the flooring. I bought 1/2" neoprene in bulk and cut it up. Glue or staple to the bottom of the 2x4's to keep them from moving while you do the layout. works just fine.

Having made those points, my hardwood floor sounds and looks great and also makes a good low freq absorber as John has pointed out. My floor can be vibrating from the bass in the room yet when I step into the next room- nothing. It's awesome.

Back