Flatpick?

Yup, even a few of us electric (mostly) players prefer flatpicks.
Clayton 45s > Ibanez AR300 most of the time.

Only genuine tortoise shell for me,:cool:

I just can't do it. I've had plenty of chances to buy one, but I saw a description once of how they remove the shells, and I just can't use them - even if they are made from old tortoise. I DO like the Tor-Tis picks (the best feeling picks I've ever tried), but at $25 a pick I just can't justify it (the one I have was a gift from a distributor - they really are awesome picks). I go back and forth between Fender Heavies and Extra-Heavies.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I just can't do it. I've had plenty of chances to buy one, but I saw a description once of how they remove the shells, and I just can't use them - even if they are made from old tortoise. I DO like the Tor-Tis picks (the best feeling picks I've ever tried), but at $25 a pick I just can't justify it (the one I have was a gift from a distributor - they really are awesome picks). I go back and forth between Fender Heavies and Extra-Heavies.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I have a stack of the stuff and ivory that I use for restoration work. When it's gone it's gone or I replenish from old furniture and piano's. I'd rather that than have new stock being introduced. I've been using the same homemade tortoise pick for about 10 years now, it's just about worn in.

Hey Everybody,

Martin HD-28 2004, Santa Cruz Tony Rice Standard, "custom built" flat top by Joe Hendrix - his 2nd build ever (family friend nice guitar, now he is working on number 3) and Red Bear "cultured tortoise shell" picks, real tortise (i've got 1), and Fender heavy and extra heavy tri-piont all of them. I use a nail file to bevel the edges then polish the sratches out with extra fine sand paper then a polishing cloth.

I play the Martin more often than the others. Has a nicer sweeter tone and guieter than other newer Martins I've heard. I want to take it to Snuffy Smithss for a set up and replace the plastic nut and bridge with bone this fall.

Got the Santa Cruz as my first real flat top. saved up my $$$ so I could be like Tony Rice......hahahahaha oh the inocence of youth but it is a banjo killer which is what I was looking for in guitar at the time- something loud enogh to be heard over those damn banjos.

Maybe one of these years I'll start hanging around Wayne Henderson's place and try to get him to build a shade top guitar for me. Best bluegrass flat top guitar maker in the world......but he is not fast by any means - unless you hang out and talk. He'll work on your guitar while you are there. Fame and money means nothing to Wayne. Ask Eric Clapton.He waited 8 years for Wayne to finish his guitar.

Maybe one of these years I'll start hanging around Wayne Henderson's place and try to get him to build a shade top guitar for me. Best bluegrass flat top guitar maker in the world......but he is not fast by any means - unless you hang out and talk. He'll work on your guitar while you are there. Fame and money means nothing to Wayne. Ask Eric Clapton.He waited 8 years for Wayne to finish his guitar.

I've seen one, and while it was OK, it was not spectacular. I know several great players who have sold theirs. Your D-28 would probably still be your favorite guitar.

None of which is to knock the guy, but the mistique around guys like him is a bit overblown. I'm mean, I think he's build fewer than 100 guitars (certainly not a lot more than that) - how much can he really know?

Light

M.K. Gandhi

It still amazes me just how good my old Yamaha FG335 sounds next to most Martins, and how Taylor guitars seem to fall apart tonewise in a roots music setting.... Now get one alone and it sounds ok, but bass fiddles and banjos and the guitar losses so much power or something....

I love the crud out of my older cheap flattops from Yamaha though....

But my Martin is the booming thundering beast that you almost always reach for when you want to blast away annoying strummy singer/songwriters who want to "jam" hehehe

yep,

not only do we call them banjo killers, at summer outdoor campground festivals, we call em hippie killers:D

all kidding aside, allcomers are welcome at jams as long as they follow the rules of the circle - great place to learn and teach

I had a solid top laminate back/side Alvarez that could old its own volume wise in a jam - but not in tone.

Last edited:

None of which is to knock the guy, but the mistique around guys like him is a bit overblown. I'm mean, I think he's build fewer than 100 guitars (certainly not a lot more than that) - how much can he really know?

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Thats a bit harsh!! I've never seen the guys work but I'm reminded of Benedetto who had fewer than that number to his name and had two Grammy nominated artists playing his guitars on their albums. There are also other makers who have no where near that number of guitars out there who's work I hold in very high regard.

Just an observartion!!

Thats a bit harsh!! I've never seen the guys work but I'm reminded of Benedetto who had fewer than that number to his name and had two Grammy nominated artists playing his guitars on their albums. There are also other makers who have no where near that number of guitars out there who's work I hold in very high regard.

Just an observartion!!

Luthier fight!!! ;^)

Luthier fight!!! ;^)

:)

Not at all. As I said I've never seen that guys work so I can't comment on the specific. Just making the observation that it is possible to be good at this stuff without a ton of back catalogue. I suspect Light would agree as well and the comment may have been through away.

Waynes World

Wayne Henderson is one the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He defines moutian smart, kindness and generousity.

To date he has built 300 or so guitars - he keeps the circle from every sound board on a big wire loop in his shop and writes the number in pencil.

What you have to keep in mind is he builds most of his guitars with a peticular player in mind. custom built for your abilities, picking style, style of guitar , music, tone you like, and he sets the action to your liking. So a second hand Henderson that was built for the origanal owner may sound like crap in someone elses hands.

He also builds more generic sounding guitars for Wayne Henderson Guitar Competition and State of Virginia Contest prizes and charity raffles - these are the ones that get sold or traded most often.

If you met the man behind the guitars and understood his aproach you wouldn't slam him or his guitars so much.

If you live in NC you have to play some bluegrass or they shoot you. It's not my cup of tea as a player, but the social aspect is unbeatable.

For bluegrass I use a '43 Gibson SJ with a Dunlop Jazz I pick. I can more than hold my own if there's only a couple of banjos.

I have always thought highly of Henderson's guitars and I've had more than a few fine guitars to compare them with. Huss and Dalton up in Staunton VA makes a great bluegrass guitar too.

Do any of you own a Gallagher? I know Doc Watson plays one and I've been edging toward buying the model that's named after him. I've been to the web site twice with the intention of buying one but always back out at the last minute. I've seen Doc twice and thought his tone was fantastic. But then again, he's a pretty good flat picker - compared to me anyway. :D

I've been saving for three years to buy an excellent acoustic and I want to make sure that's exactly what I'm getting. The only problem is that I can't play it before I buy it and $3600.00 is a lot to drop without having played it before hand.

Tortex green .88 mm feel right for me.

Last edited:
Thanks, I live in Michigan and the only dealer is a bit of a drive but it's probably worth it in the long haul. (pun intended) I feel like an idiot because I've visited that web site numerous times and it never occurred to me to see if there was a dealer in my state. Doh

Back