"Flat out Winner"

Queue

Did anyone catch the quote of one Mr. Harvey Gerst, Indian Trail Recording Studio on page 19 of TapeOp #29???

"The MXL 603 - A flat out winner" was the quote.

I believe the readers of this forum are the "flat out winners" having Harvey looking out for our best interests, and educating us along the way.

Thanks for all you do for us, Harvey.

Queue

That whole thing is so bizzare to me. Why the hell they'd want to use a quote from a guy who runs a dinky little studio in the middle of nowhere, texas is beyond me. But Wayne at MXL called me a few months ago and asked if I'd mind if they used that quote in their ads, and I told them, sure go ahead, but it didn't make much sense to me then, or now.

Harvey Gerst said:
That whole thing is so bizzare to me. Why the hell they'd want to use a quote from a guy who runs a dinky little studio in the middle of nowhere, texas is beyond me.

Harvey, my guess is because you represent their target market with this product. Yea it would be helpful to have some big name engineer brag about the mic but if you are "a dinky little studio" on a limited budget then your comments are actually more on target. Its called target demographics.

Of course I could be wrong and the mic stinks and no one else would dare be quoted. ;) :)

Lee

I think that we need to keep it under wraps, at least untill my edited version of the big thread hits the Big sellers list, and then we can book him on oprah and maybe even Dave.:D

MXL know the strength of Harvey's reputation online. That reputation includes being beholden to no one, and not interested in becoming beholden.

I've thought about pitching a Tape Op interview to Larry Crane. Would you be agreeable, Harvey?
-kent

I'd really like to see an article in which Harvey talks about some of the great musicians he's worked with. That would make for an interesting read!

Bob

I've read some info on the Tape Op site that says to go ahead and do the interview and then submit it to them for publishing. Why not? Are any of you guys (and possibly gals) near Harvey?

Yup. Me. That's why I asked.

Okay Harvey, how about this. I'll try not to whip you with stupid questions. I'll keep it short and balanced between your career and gear thoughts without getting personal. Throw me out whenever you're done. Bonus: I'll even bring Ina to do the photos (you at the MCI?).

Ignore this and I'll drop it.
-kent

knownuttin said:

Okay Harvey, how about this. I'll try not to whip you with stupid questions. I'll keep it short and balanced between your career and gear thoughts without getting personal. Throw me out whenever you're done.
The only problem I have with the whole concept is that I was just very lucky to grow up in the right place at the right time. By putting me together with all the people I've known over the years, or the things I've done, a lot of people would assume I was special, when all it was was just plain old dumb luck.

The fact that a lot of them have taken on legendary proportions after they died makes people go, "Wow, you knew Zappa, Hendrix, Janis, and Jim Morrison?" or whoever, makes me look a lot larger in some people's eyes. Or "you designed the JBL F series speakers, worked on the Rhodes piano, and the Acoustic amps?" makes me nervous, when it wasn't just me alone, working in a vacuum.

So, the whole idea of "braggin' on myself" has always made me somewhat nervous and I've avoided talking about it at any great length anywhere.

Bonus: I'll even bring Ina to do the photos.
You never said you'd bring Ina before. OK, I'll do it.

Yeah, I realize now I kinda buried my lead. Shoulda mentioned Ina first.

And though I may not have an angle (or a set of questions) yet, I certainly don't want to pursue a star worship routine, asking you what Jimi was really like. As much as your past, I'd like to focus on your work at Indian Trail since moving to Texas.

I'll give you a call about when's good.
-kent

Back