Flashy Drummers

mm2k5

well i posted this once, but was told to come here...so here i go again

Can anyone here give me tips of how to make my stage show look better...i mean all i do is sit there..i never took the time to learn how to twirl my sticks or anything.I am good enough now that I feel my show is just kinda blah....so if anyone could give me tips of what they do on stage...or if someone would teach me how to twirl my stick on beat..lol..that would be just awesome...thanks!

Ok, I got one that gets me laid.
When the crowd is just about to explode I spit some coolaide at my crash while I smack the hell out of it.

Or was that in a dream?

You can download free MPG's that teach you how to twirl sticks. Just do a google search..... (then be ready to practice a lot) :)

When I saw Pat Travers years ago..... his drummer threw 40 or 50 sticks out in the crowd during the song "Boom Boom, out go the lights". Everytime he hit the crash he let go of the stick and they'd fly into the crowd. He'd pick up another in time and keep on playing until the next crash. I thought that was pretty cool at the time.

In my youth I very a very "flashy drummer" (probably too much so). Now I'm content to keep focus on my chops. I'm now into economy of motion.

Candidly, if you play with passion, people can see, feel and appeciate it.

However, things that did work for me when this things were more important to me):

Obviously, spinning sticks is almost a given (or at least throwing them in the air and catching them):

1. Having the drums and cymbals higher requires more arm movement (although it can compromise technique)

2. Useing a strobe light can create a nice effect

3. Useing "black lights" with florescent paint on the sticks

4. Pouring water of the floor toms creates a nice effect (in particular when combined with 2 & 3)

5. Useng flash pots around the drums - or dry ice machines

I've never done this (I've seen it done) - it seems dumb and after the tragic club fires may no longer be allowed - but - lighter fluid set ablaze on tom heads

Try smiling and interactin with the crowd, if you can see them. Make the people feel that they are a part of what you are doing. Instead of playing a funky thing during the drum break, slap your sticks and cheer the audience to clap with you. Chew some gum and blow bubbles. Laugh and have fun. Make funny faces. If you play small enough venues, ask a member of the audience on stage, and make them play the snare part. All of these are fun things to do to get the crowd into the music. You dont have to twirl sticks, that has already been done. Find something unique. Dress up your kit with some lepard print material. Something.

Try smiling and interactin with the crowd, if you can see them. Make the people feel that they are a part of what you are doing. Instead of playing a funky thing during the drum break, slap your sticks and cheer the audience to clap with you. Chew some gum and blow bubbles. Laugh and have fun. Make funny faces. If you play small enough venues, ask a member of the audience on stage, and make them play the snare part. All of these are fun things to do to get the crowd into the music. You dont have to twirl sticks, that has already been done. Find something unique. Dress up your kit with some lepard print material. I bought some neon lights that flash with the music, and placed them around my kit once. I also bought some round flourescent lights that fit right in my toms. I suspended them with small metal wire, and wired them up. It was awesome, and didnt really change the sound of the drums live.

To paraphrase S.O.D.:

Save that stick twirling shit
For bands like Motley Crue
Or when you come to see us,
We'll dive on top of you

Back