Flakey Keyboard Buttons

joegrane

My Kurzweil K2500x has a button used for editing sound that requires extra pressure and sometimes even a bit of wiggling in order to work.

Any suggestions on what to do? I don't mind opening the unit to work on it.

I have access to compressed air that I could direct towards it from the inside; however if they are sealed, I suppose that would not work.

Is pot cleaner or fader lube a possibility?

For sure I'd try to blow it out first.

One thought would be to phone Kurzweil and see if their service dept is friendly enough to give you some advice.

Sometimes those types of buttons are small pc mounted micro switches that can use a bit of Deoxit and other times they are a type of sealed switch that only can be replaced.

I'm the type of person that takes pretty much everything apart so I probably would do that as most repairs are pretty obvious.

On my Sequential Circiuts keyboard they had a long plastic strip with switches in it I replaced. So opening it up and diagnosing it yourself is usually what I have to do first. At worst you buy a part from Kurzweil and put it in.

Keep track of the screws - I use an old ice cube tray as I take it apart so I can keep the screws in order.

if memory serves those are micro switches with a little plast button over it... the button center is flexing from what's essential a frame... i susect in this case the button is loose from said frame and the only way to correct it is to pop it open and replace the button... these types of repairs are not for the faint hearted... not because their so hard but rather because they're a serious pain in the ass... hradest part often is reloading the board into the chasis... kkeping the buttons lined up as you seat it... if you decide to try this then one trick i can offer is a small amount of rubber cement can be used to hold the buttons in place... but dont over do it...

Back