FL Studio DXi & Sonar 2.2XL odd stuff

williamconifer

Greetings

I am using FL Studio and Sonar 2.2 XL using ASIO drivers. I load FL into SOnar noproblem using the Fruity DXi. I go to FL and open up the "NewStuff" flp. I go back to Sonar and hit the play button. It depresses for half a second then stops. (not a dropout). So I play with the offset. Same problem. WHen I get to off set of 4 I can hear part of the beat of NewStuff. like a kick or HH. I set the offset all the way to 20 and I still get the same behavior. As I keep hitting the play button I find that I am moving through the song in FL.

BTW, I was having the same problem with FL 5.56 using the fXpansion wrapper.

Other specs on my setup is. Athlon 1.6XP, 728 meg of ram., M-Audio Quattro Soundcard.

Any Thoughts?

jack

It shure sound like a Dropout. What happens if you raise the latency in Options -> Audio ?

I set latency form medium to very high. It's at 40 ms. The reason I say it's not a dropout is because there is no red dropout warning at the bottom of the window.

Also here somthing else. I can go into FL and start the song then go back to Sonar and everything seems fine. Audio is there, meters working. When I press stop in Sonar the audio stops but I can't restart it by pressing play.

What if you set the Latensy samples to a higher value in the Delta Control Panel?

I am using the M-Audio Quattro. In Sonar Options|Audio I can only change the latency by going to the ASIO pannel and that brings up the Quattro Asio details. I have it set to the hightest latency.

The fact that I can start the song while in Fruity leads me to believe that it has something to do with syncing the 2 progams.

Problem solved.

Here is a responce I got from the Fruity forum:

"Ken Schuller wrote :

Sonar's retarded in that it won't "just play" without data in at least one track. Here's what I do:

- Add the FLDS DXi

- Add a new MIDI track. Don't have it actually trigger anything.

- Select the MIDI track

- View -> Event Editor

- Add a MIDI note at some obcene spot in time, like 5 minutes

Now when you hit "Play", you'll hear FLS DXi fire up and play up to the point where you inserted that MIDI note that isn't triggering anything."

Retarded Indeed :)
jack

Oh... you didn't have anything in the tracks in Sonar. Now it's all clear! :)

William, I had similar experiences and gave up. I put it down to problems with fxpansion. I'll try your suggested remedy. Many thanks.
Thinking about it, I haven't even bothered to re-install FL after my recent DAW upgrade:(

Sonar won't play anything if you don't have anything in the tracks. Kind of irritating if you use anything like Reason or FL with it...

I've been dinking around a bit with Fruity Studio 4 Producer Pack and I really like it. It make sense (well more so than previous versions). They fixed some usabilty problems that always had me scratching my head and saying "what were they thinking".

Regarding Sonar, I'm going to create a template for Fruity and have a hidden midi channel with some notes in it.

Thanks for the support.

jack

Back