Fixing Vintage Mics

Milkfaj

I am amazed at all the beautiful old vintage mics on ebay and the low prices, mostly due to the fact that most of the Mics are untested. Does anyone know how easy it is to rewire and old mic? what are some of the best and worst case senarios for an old mic not working? How easy is it to convert an old style connector to XLR or 1/4"? can you buy the parts at radioshack?
what about the ribbons- if they are fried or broken can they be replaced or fixed by professionals? would I pay $50 or $1000 to get an old RCA ribbon fixed? these are the questions running through my head.

Milkfaj said:
I am amazed at all the beautiful old vintage mics on ebay and the low prices, mostly due to the fact that most of the Mics are untested. Does anyone know how easy it is to rewire and old mic? what are some of the best and worst case senarios for an old mic not working? How easy is it to convert an old style connector to XLR or 1/4"? can you buy the parts at radioshack?
what about the ribbons- if they are fried or broken can they be replaced or fixed by professionals? would I pay $50 or $1000 to get an old RCA ribbon fixed? these are the questions running through my head.

Conversion to XLR varies depending on what the old connector is. Some of them are pretty close to XLR size, so you can slide in an XLR pretty easy. I did one conversion like that, but the XLR tab doesn't lock.

Rewiring isn't tough if wires are the problem. A reribbon generally runs about $125, I've done a couple myself but it's not the easiest thing in the world, lots of cursing is involved :eek:

Back