fixing timing issues

You can create a tempo map from tracks recorded without a click track, but it is quite involved and time consuming. I actually paid Guitargodgt to make a tutorial about it. It is here somewhere.

I will try to find it.

Oh yeah, DUH. I made it a sticky in this forum. HERE .

You can create a tempo map from tracks recorded without a click track, but it is quite involved and time consuming. I actually paid Guitargodgt to make a tutorial about it. It is here somewhere.

I will try to find it.

I know, but I only bother to do that when I'm trying to add tracks to something that was done a million years ago.

I was never one to leave things to chance, so the only time I don't start with a tempo map of a song is when I have a band in who is incapable of playing to a click. If that's the case, usually the tempo is the least of the problems.

I know, but I only bother to do that when I'm trying to add tracks to something that was done a million years ago.

I was never one to leave things to chance, so the only time I don't start with a tempo map of a song is when I have a band in who is incapable of playing to a click. If that's the case, usually the tempo is the least of the problems.

Totally agree.

Set the tempo and turn on the click track. Play to that and you will automatically be on the grid on the screen.

The only time you need to manually slave the grid to something is if you recorded it without the click and then decided you needed the grid.

Go to project -> beat calculator. Tap out the tempo you want on the spacebar. It will tell you the tempo you were tapping. Then enter that into the tempo of the session. Turn on the click and play to it.

You may not have to edit anything if you play to the click in the first place.
I realize that now. I'm going to use a click from now on. I have a song that I posted in the clinic that I really like the vocal on but if I can't get the timing straightened out its going to end up being a waste of time.
Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/jimistone/why-i-sing-the-blues

It...obviously ...wasn't recorded with a click. I was hoping I could fix the timing on this

I'm working on a cover of ZZ Tops "Arrested for driving while blind". It has a somewhat difficult intro. The intro is a guitar run that is played in unison with a drum roll. I worked on my rhytym guitar tracks tonight and by making a cut before and after each note I was able to then line the notes up with each drum hit. It's as tight as the original album cut.
Thanks for explaining how to do this the right way (resize and crossfade)

Last edited:

I will try to find it.

Thanks for the link jimmys69

Man, I was checking out the pics of your studios (fairview and jimmys69). Really nice spaces and equipment!
Impressive

Thanks.
So, when you say "fade" you're talking about the same operation as fading out on the end if a song only a much shorter duration?

Yes. if you grab the top corner of a piece of audio in cubase and pull it toward the center of the clip, it will create a fade. At the front, it fades in. at the back it fades out.

Hard cuts will result in clicks and pops because you wont necessarily be cutting at a place where there is no audio. so you do a very quick fade at the cut to stop that happening.

That studio is gone now. I've stopped recording and I'm just mixing now. Recording budgets have gotten so small, even signed bands budgets, that it wasn't possible to keep the place open. So I moved to a better climate, got a relatively stress free job making more money than I was able to pay myself for the last five years at the studio.

Back