Fix for the front sholder strap peg screw falling out?

Mongoo

Hi, The screw for the front strap keeps falling out of my fender strat. I've heard varying theory's from Putting toothpick pieces mixed with wood glue to just filling the hole with wood putty then screwing the peg back in. Figured I'd run by you and saw what you thought works best. I don't want to ruin the guitar somehow, you know. It's a nice American.

Last edited:
I'll cast a vote for the toothpick method. The top strap button and input jack screws were wearing out on my Schecter and it worked like a charm on both places.

The toothpick and glue method is good, as long as we are just talking a little loose. It can get to the point where you need to enlarge, fill, and redrill the hole, but in all likelihood you will be fine with a toothpick and some Tightbond.

Wood putty is evil unless you are filling brad holes in the finish trim in your house. It has no place on a guitar, and even less place on something which needs structural strength.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Had the same problem with a bass guitar a few years back, and trimmed down wooden matchsticks did the trick nicely, so I'd say that's another vote for the toothpicks. As long as, as Light mentions, it's only a matter of it being a bit loose and the peg coming out after you've had the guitar strapped on for a bit.

Yep wood shims and titebond should do it. I use hardwood wood shims because I have them to hand and they will give the screw a little extra bite. You'll be Ok with toothpicks or similar.

Hi, The screw for the front strap keeps falling out of my fender strat. I've heard varying theory's from Putting toothpick pieces mixed with wood glue to just filling the hole with wood putty then screwing the peg back in. Figured I'd run by you and saw what you thought works best. I don't want to ruin the guitar somehow, you know. It's a nice American.

Toothpicks. Glue is optional; I've never used it and I've never had a toothpick repair pull out.

Back