fitting MIDI to tempo

Noodlehoss

Here's the scenario...I have a piece of stand alone software that converts audio clips to MIDI files. I want to then bring the MIDI sequence back into Sonar3 and have it play along in sync with the original audio clip.

Here's the dilemma...the MIDI sequence is slower/longer when imported into Sonar3. I have tried the process 'length' and 'fit to time', but it's a lot of trial and error. Anyone know of a way to sync it up with no guess work?

Not at my DAW at present, but I assume this problem is due to the fact that the BPM setting in the MIDI file doesn't match the BPM setting in your existing Sonar project (although I would have guessed the MIDI file would have adapted to the charateristics of the project it was being imported into).

Perhaps you can import the MIDI file into a "new" Sonar project. Then change the BPM setting of the new project to match the existing project, and export a new MIDI file.

You should be able to import that new file into the existing Sonar project and have them now sync.

Thanks for the suggestion. Although I did something a little different, it helped me find the solution. I found a setting in the Audio to MIDI application that allows me to set the bpm of the midi file...just set it to match Sonar before saving and importing. Perfect sync. :)

Back