First tune without my band!

SilverbayJ

Last year my band took a long vacation away from each other, and since I always must be playing and writing, I decided to try it alone. This is the first result of that quest. This is me recording, singing, playing, everything, except drums (which are loops from betamonkeymusic.com).

Please take a listen and let me know what you think... Not am I only interested in what you think about the song but the recording and mixing of it as well...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/johnnyr.htm

My bands home page is http://www.anatomicrock.com

I thought it was mixed very well and I liked the chunky Zakk Wylde-ish guitars. I think you've got a solid voice, but I think the lyrics and melodies were a bit simplistic. That was really the only area where I thought the song was seriously lacking. The vocals just didn't hold my interest (though you did a good job of keeping the vibrato's in line and such). Other than that, good work!

Very Professional

I'd guess from what I just heard that you did some if not alot of your mixing/recording in a place "bigger" than a home studio. It was well recorded, mixed and yes, you have some awesome vocals.

If you did do this in your home-studio, tell me what kinda of gear you used cause I'd love to get that kind of sound.

If it was a pro studio, whats their site address so I can check out their gear.

Very Well done. Keep it up.

Two thumbs up!

Thanks for the great feedback!

I really appreciate all of the feedback, and yes MX3282, this was all recorded in the front bedroom of my house. The room has a bay window, but I don't think that was what you were talking about... :) I have a run of the mill HP computer running XP, with the mbox pro tools software. I recorded the drums by using drum loops through "betamonkeymusic.com", making the drums at the least sound professional. The guitars were recorded using a SM57 close mic'd to a 412 Marshall and Boogie Triple Recto. I also added more guitars using a Pandoras Box by Tone Works (if you can believe that!). All inputs (guitars, bass direct, vocals) went through a Mackie DFX-12 board then to the mbox. For vocals I recorded just with a SM58 mic, and used compression and eq to taste. That's about it. My room has no acoustical treatment other than my two cats who lay around and attempt to sing sometime when I do....

I really am happy to get feedback regarding my vocals, since I have always been a guitarist who sings backup. This helps me boost my confidence tremendously! Brookman, I'm glad you heard the Dokken influence, since George Lynch was a HUGE influence on me when I was younger! Thanks again!

Please remember to support ALL local music in your area, no matter how good or bad it may be, music will always be our past, present, and future!

Back