first tune in awhile (metal)

GreenDank

finally got a chance recently to do a new tune (pentecostal snake-handling nightmare). all comments welcome! let me know if something sounds really outta-whack. I guess there's an overall lower-fi sound to it, which is either a mixing/EQ-ing issue or perhaps a result of using super cheap gear. I'm just happy to have gotten something done!

I don't know about low-fi necessarily, thought at times there seems to be a small curtain of hiss behind your elements - not everywhere though, which is kinda odd. Sounds pretty dang good to my unprofessional ears in cheap headphones anyway. The only suggestion that I have might be to bring the guitar level down slightly relative to the other tracks, as they can be slightly overbearing in parts (even though I know this is supposed to be a guitar-driven song).

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth. Great job.

very awesome comments! I think the hiss is coming from various things - popping in to do a direct solo, poor-quality samples from youtube during certain parts, etc. not sure if I can fix those, but perhaps some automation would at least limit them to only occur right when those parts are happening and not bleed over. maybe I can EQ-out the high end/hissy end of the spectrum from them too.

yeah, I think I went a little too strong with the guitars this time (for compensating going too low in the recent past) - you're right, I need to bring 'em down [or bring up the snare and bass drum]. also, I went too nuts with the EQ on the bass guitar and 6-string guitars. I gotta fix this stuff.

thanks a lot!

Last edited:

latest version, probably still needs some work, but I couldn't resist goofing with it before taking off for t-giving....

The guitar is a bit too prominent, but then again the guitar parts are really the driving thing in the song, so don't bring them down too much.

I would have liked to hear a little more crack out of the snare. It doesn't have enough attack to really cut. It could also be a bit louder, as could the rest of the drums, cymbals are fine though. The kick has enough click, but not enough boom for my tastes for this style of music. When it's all click like that, you really get the fake sounding robot kick, but a lot of people like that. Try boosting 60hz by around 2.5db's and see what you think.

I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with some warm distortion sounds on the vocals.

Other than that, really cool song. I love the guitar tones you used!!

The guitar is a bit too prominent, but then again the guitar parts are really the driving thing in the song, so don't bring them down too much.

I would have liked to hear a little more crack out of the snare. It doesn't have enough attack to really cut. It could also be a bit louder, as could the rest of the drums, cymbals are fine though. The kick has enough click, but not enough boom for my tastes for this style of music. When it's all click like that, you really get the fake sounding robot kick, but a lot of people like that. Try boosting 60hz by around 2.5db's and see what you think.

I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with some warm distortion sounds on the vocals.

Other than that, really cool song. I love the guitar tones you used!!

thanks for checkin' it out and the great tips. love the surgical EQ ranges given for me to hone right in on. nice ears! much appreciated.

for what it's worth - the main guitars were done through a small (around 20 watt) tube PA "head" with an Ibanez tube king in front of it - into a 4-12". tried to go for a "natural" type overdrive.

I really love the guitar sounds, very nice. I think perhaps the vocals are a little nasal sounding though, they could be warmed up a little. Try decreasing some of the lower mid frequencies, see what that does

Ben.

finally got a chance recently to do a new tune (pentecostal snake-handling nightmare). all comments welcome! let me know if something sounds really outta-whack. I guess there's an overall lower-fi sound to it, which is either a mixing/EQ-ing issue or perhaps a result of using super cheap gear. I'm just happy to have gotten something done!

Sounds good to me.
The low mids in the guitars could do with being tighter though. Its when the palm mutes are played.
Maybe more compression and/or slight EQ adjustments. You could duplicate eh track and edit so the palm mutes are on one track and the rest of the guitars are on the original, and EQ out some low mids in the palm muted track.

Eck

Id bring up the volume of the kick, snare and toms. The cymbals and hats sound at the right level, but the rest of the drums are pretty hidden especially the snare drum!!

Eck

Id bring up the volume of the kick, snare and toms. The cymbals and hats sound at the right level, but the rest of the drums are pretty hidden especially the snare drum!!

Eck

thanks for the tips! odd part is, the snare and kick are really cranked on the latest version, at least as far as db output compared to all other instruments going on. you sure you listened to the most recent version I just posted today?

I really love the guitar sounds, very nice. I think perhaps the vocals are a little nasal sounding though, they could be warmed up a little. Try decreasing some of the lower mid frequencies, see what that does

Ben.

you're right about the vocals, they are super middly for some reason - thanks!

Last edited:
thanks for the tips! odd part is, the snare and kick are really cranked on the latest version, at least as far as db output compared to all other instruments going on. you sure you listened to the most recent version I just posted today?

I didnt listen to that new version.
Yeah the drums are better now. Snare could use a bit more snap if possible, maybe a tad more volume.

The bas guitar could do with a bit of work. Bring it up in the mix and try adding more low end, as the mix is low end light. Kick drum has plenty low end, sounds a tad thumpy maybe? Try cutting some low mids from the kick.

Eck

Excellent tune, and recording!

I like how the different elements sound together. Yes the snare is a little clunky, but I like it. Its different than the normally cracky sound you get with metal. The lead tramples on the vox here and there, that would be my only gripe.

Sounds like psychobilly gone metal - just the cow punk groove to the kick n snare i suppose & the talkish singing.
Good work though - I like the overall feel - if it's lofi it's also OK.

thanks for listening y'all, and the tips. yeah, now that the drums got closer (minus the snare, rats!), the bass got off, and I tend to usually pump up the bass guitar! it's like I can't fix one thing with another going wacky or getting buried - what a complex puzzle mixing is! I'll see what I can do to fix these items.

I grew up on annihilator, but with coburn pharr and randy rampage singing. Maybe Jeff and I have similar voices (he probably sings better of course, and definitely shreds on the axe better!!) or maybe it's the guitarist-trying-to-sing thing.

Back