First try at mixing.

bluedaffy

Hello all, this is a song from the first album that I have ever mixed. This is my song and it was recorded by the band that I play in, so they give me a lot of freedom regarding the final product. Please give this track a listen and let me know what you hear, criticism from a fresh pair of ears is probably the best thing for me at this point. This is the raw mix, no mastering has been done to it besides slapping on a limiter to bring up the volume, but even the limiter isn't 'limiting' anything except for one rogue peak toward the end so it shouldn't be coloring the sound. The actual song is 10 minutes because of a jam at the end, but for the purpose of this upload and critique I cut the jam off so what is left is the meat of the structured song, so the clip is about 3 minutes I think.

The vision I'm going for is a fresh take on the more traditional blues sound. Let me know what you think. Remember, this is my first run at mixing, so as long as you're polite :cursing:, or close to it :D I welcome all the criticism in the world!

-bluedaffy

https://soundcloud.com/evanwcraig/i-found-a-woman

I'm only listening on a Galaxy Tab but what I can hear sounds pretty good. Love the harmonica! Can't really comment on the mix due to the listening medium but I really enjoyed the tune. I'd like to hear the full version.

Others will be along to give better reviews :thumbs up:

I thought the guitars sounded cool - they fit this mix pretty well. Good singing and the vocal tone is good.

I thought the distorted guitars were a little loud. They're covering the vocal.

I'd keep the doubled vocal tracks all down the center.

I thought the bass and the drums were a little soft. Especially the drums.

Hey nicely done!! Cool tune too. I also think the vocal doubling needs some editing or centering or cleanup or all three. The effect is not getting it done.....IMO only........and it takes more from the vocal than it gives. Maybe rethink that a bit. The distorted guitars on each side are also well played but the tones are a little too similar and create a sort of havoc in the mix. Perhaps a bit of EQ to give them each a slightly different flavor? The balance is very good and the general dynamics of the mix are too. The drums could use a teeny bit of brightness. Love the female vocal part how it plays off the main vocal. Very cool and fits well. Just my thoughts........and since I'm not famous for my thoughts.......well.......your work should be just fine as it is :)

You had me all the way until the female vocals. It just didn't fit. Too close, vocals didn't fit the grove, couldn't say for sure but it mucked up the tune for me. Now, I am not saying she can't sing, I am saying she didn't fit the mix for me.

Everything else was smokin', not sure if you made adjustments, but I couldn't hear anything else wrong with the tune. Great sound going on. Reminds me of something from the early 70's, not the stuff they play on classic rock stations either. If it comes to me I will post.

Good tune, see if you can the female voice in a better place. maybe back or left (like she is talking in his head which seems like that is what her words are saying)

Thanks so much for the responses, I really appreciate the feedback and I'm happy that other than some mixing preferences you like the song!

Right now I have the main VOX center and the supporting (with a bit of distortion) panned 50% left, I will move that in and see how that sounds. I liked the idea of separation between the 2 VOX tracks, but you might be right, down the center might be the best. I will def give it a shot. The panned distorted guitars were recorded with the same gear, same setup, and same settings. I had been re-thinking that as of lately and already have toyed with the idea of replacing one with a different guitar just to make it a bit different as you suggested. So I might try to eq some differences between them, but I will probably just re-record one of the tracks. As far as the drums are concerned, they were recorded with a spaced pair of overheads, a kick & a snare. I'll try bringing the overheads up a bit, I feel like the presence of the kick and definitely the snare are prominent, but by all means tell me if you feel differently.

I always had the same thought regarding the female VOX as well but I didn't know what avenue to take it, so that is a GREAT suggestion! Thank you!

I always had the same thought regarding the female VOX as well but I didn't know what avenue to take it, so that is a GREAT suggestion! Thank you!

I was hoping you wouldn't take it wrong. Glad is was helpful.

Experiment with the fem vox.
the snare sounds like it's rattling everytime something loud happens.
So far so good.

Back