first timer here — feedback much appreciated!

Mr. Yo

Just wanted to know what you might think of my singing in terms of pitch, power, registration, diction, phrasing, breathing ... anything you can think of. Please be constructive as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/mart-c-l/i-will-always-love-you-whitney-houston-cover

I feel the song might be too 'big' for me, though a friend of mine told me I did a decent, above average-ish cover.

There are other clips on my SoundCloud account, which you might want to check out too. Anyway, thanks for your time. :)

Not bad. You have some skill with a tune. Are you working on power and breath support?

I disagree that it's a big song. It's a huge, world class song. Not much point in covering a signature song of one the greats unless you're going to do something different with it (like Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow, for example). Or something equally great.

What are your goals?

By the way, I think most people around here have stopped listening to these first-timer feedback requests because most of them sound like someone who's never sung before, singing into their phone. So if you don't get a lot of responses, that's why.

Were the vocals recorded in one take? I am hearing some overlap.

You're right, there is an overlap right after the second chorus.

Not bad. You have some skill with a tune. Are you working on power and breath support?

I disagree that it's a big song. It's a huge, world class song. Not much point in covering a signature song of one the greats unless you're going to do something different with it (like Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow, for example). Or something equally great.

What are your goals?

By the way, I think most people around here have stopped listening to these first-timer feedback requests because most of them sound like someone who's never sung before, singing into their phone. So if you don't get a lot of responses, that's why.

Yep, breath support is one of the things I'm working on. I think I'm losing it as I go up my range. There are times I feel I have good support; at times I feel my singing gets a little too throaty.

Also, I'm having a hard time sustaining notes above G4 with vibrato. Maybe that has to do with not having proper support as well.

So, is there any feedback on my diction, enunciation, and transition to head or falsetto (am not sure if I did head or falsetto in my "I Will Always Love You" cover)? Someone once told me my enunciation needs a little work.

Also, I'm having a hard time sustaining notes above G4 with vibrato. Maybe that has to do with not having proper support as well.

So, is there any feedback on my diction, enunciation, and transition to head or falsetto (am not sure if I did head or falsetto in my "I Will Always Love You" cover)? Someone once told me my enunciation needs a little work.

I am not hearing any problems in any of the areas. Diction/enunciation sounds fine -- clearly you are able to iron out any little lapses.

I think that more breath support would make those higher notes sound freer.

You've done a good job. It could be just a matter of, "keep doing what you are doing", and it will get even better.

1. I agree with others--don't put 'first timer' in the title in the future if you want to get maximum responses.

2. Agreed. This is a huge song which is a cover itself, what!?!? yeah, Dolly Parton is the original artist. Whitney changed the song in a major way and did such an amazing job it has overshadowed the original. So you have to either, do it as well as Whitney if you're doing her version which is damn near impossible or you have to make some changes vocally or instrumentally to make it your own.

3. With that being said you have a nice voice, good tone, overall pretty decent pitch. I think you need to develop a stronger mix. A mix is where you blend the vibrations occurring in the mouth and the vibrations occurring in the head on a single pitch in the middle of your range. Right now, you have a very heady mix, which means you are giving preference to the vibrations in your head. This is what is stopping you from belting out the high notes like she does in the chorus, which lets the listener down as far as their expectations of the song.

To develop a stronger mix I would recommend working with the 'Oh' vowel on a three tone scale in the middle of your range making sure of two things: 1. you engage your support --which means that your lower abdominal muscles and pelvic muscles become engaged as your are doing the scale. It will feel like a downwards push similar to that of coughing. Try a fake cough to feel these muscles engage. This will result in increased air pressure which will give a greater output of volume and mouth vibrations (resonance). Make it sound deep kind of like rocky from the rocky movies, try to imitate his low larynx sound when vocalizing the 'oh'.

it is really hard to articulate without demonstration. If you need further explanation you can email me- adammishan@gmail.com. I'm a vocal coach and can walk you through it.

hope that helps!

^ Hi, thanks for your feedback.

I think I know what you mean by having a heady mix. I don't suppose there's anything wrong with it in terms of damaging the voice, though it would be great to learn how to strike a better balance between head and chest. However, I have no idea how to go about it.

^ Hi, thanks for your feedback.

I think I know what you mean by having a heady mix. I don't suppose there's anything wrong with it in terms of damaging the voice, though it would be great to learn how to strike a better balance between head and chest. However, I have no idea how to go about it.

I described how to go about it above! There is nothing wrong with it from a technical stand point. It is just lackluster especially in a song like this.

For example, imagine if I were singing this song in a heady mix what would that do to the passion and intensity of the choruses. It would be healthy but not what the song calls for.

Back