first time recording with my equipment

Jimmymite

This is a rough mix in my new home studio. The vocals are just scratch vocals. I really want opinions on how the bass and guitars sound.

disclaimer

I know there's a lot of people with varying opinions on religion. I'm just looking for a straight recording opinion. I don't want to offend anyone with my style.

In my humble opinion, the guitars sound outstanding. The intro guitar mix is a little strong but it smooths as soon as the verse starts and maintains till the end. I`d like a bit more bass in the mix to give more body, the kick and sanre could be a hair stronger. I wish my first had been this good.

Sounds very good. The chorus vocals (when the other vox comes in) sound really muffled to me, I can't hear them, but that may just be my speakers. I would keep some of the acoustic from the beginning in the chorus or verse. Anyhow, its very good. How did you record it all?

equipment

my chain is De Armond Hollow body electric - 1969 Ampeg v4 head with matching 4-12 cabinet - at4050 - behringer 1202 - delta 1010lt - vegas audio

tackamine acoustic sp? direct and miced at the hole with the at 4050

There are two electric rythym tracks panned left and right and the same thing with the acoustics.

this is pretty good...

a couple of things

the vocal seems to drop out around 1:00... sounds like the vocal is doubled during the verse and then when it's centered it gets buried.

the mix lacks highs or presence... a little dull... overall definition is lacking

snare lacks definition

good deal... enjoyed it...

I liked it a lot. I'm a fan of Christian pop and rock. Really well done. Really well written.

What I didn't care for was the acoustic guitar at the front. Just thought it sounded not good. Could use a little more Bass guitar. Electrics were perfect. Also, needs the solo vocal that is in the dead center to be louder.... almost all of the time. In my opinion it should hit the listener with the same volume as the panned ones. Just my opinion.... because if your listening on headphones... and you got this really good groove going, then it's like the vocals drop off and you have to listen to find them.... even though its in the middle now.

Liked the song very very much.

outstanding...

The intro could be a little stronger musically.
The mix is good, but I also could take a tad more low end to fill it out. Also a little more "thwack" to the snare would be nice also.

Given the vocals are scratch vocals, they sound performed very well. The panning from split to single vocals was a little weird...plus the volumes seem to go up and down.

Very nice tight, punchy, upfront sound...especially the guitars. The gtr solo was probably the weakest part of the performances.

again...outstanding. The song "grabbed" me right after the intro!

kjam22 said:
I liked it a lot. I'm a fan of Christian pop and rock. Really well done. Really well written.

I totally agree!! Awesome message. Well written! I wish my first recording sounded this good. More bass though needed. And more highs.

I enjoyed this tune.

I agree that the bass needs to come up. I don't think the vocals are being lost because they are too quiet. They are occupying the same acoustic space as a whole bunch of guitar. Creative EQ could pull them apart, which would benefit the guitar, the vox, and the whole mix. Overall, vey impressive. Good work.-Richie

good comments

Good comments all around. I am making some adjustments and will post an updated mp3 soon. The only thing I didn't agree with was the solo. I like it because it's dirty. It's not a real clean solo.

A couple thoughts.

On the vocals, I would eq the doubled L & R vox to make them a little thinner to differentiate them from the center vox.

I wouldn't have the vocals ever panned only hard L & R for more than a few words (like the 'I thank you Lord' or 'I praise you Lord') phrases alternating with the center main vocal. It does work there.

The snare is blah. Needs to have some more snap eq'd in.

At :06 there is a note that is a little out of tune. It is real subtle and I don't know if it is the acoustic or electric gits. I think it is the doubled electric drone.

I love the compressed crash cymbals with the long decay.

Nice tune! Great work.

- Christopher Jorge

http://www.VideoDrumLessons.com

Sounds great!
Vox sound a bit loud to me, but just a little. Not enough to make me not like the song! :D

Did you play to a click?

Back