first time recording vocals

HomeNoiseRecord

hey guys, wondered if i could get some feedback on this:

Stillborn Piano Cover by Adam J Owens on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

its my own twist on a black label society song which there is an acoustic version, i transcribed it by ear onto my keyboard and tried to get some vocals on it. I used an sm57 for the vox as thats all i could get my hands on. I believe i EQ'd it a bit, added compression and a touch of reverb. how do your, more knowledgable, ears think i have done? ignore the guitar bit at the end, im gonna edit that out....

any tips for when i go back and try improve on it?

cheers

great job for an SM57. And brilliant job considering that's the first time you've ever recorded vocals. A much better job than I do most of the time.

I'd say you have them in more or less the right place.

They are slightly washy and lack
definition though. As a listener, you have to actually make an effort to discern what the words are. It's not a crystal-clear vocal that cuts through.

I would try taking some reverb off it. In fact, your reverb sounds quite 'big hall'; maybe you should think 'smaller room'. Have you EQd the vocal much? Because it might be that you introduced some washiness and imprecision while doing so. A boost at around 9 or 10K will introduce a bit of air to it, but you might want to boost the treble a little below that: add some sharpness.

Not too shabby. My thoughts are that it may be a tad quiet in the mix. I can also hear that the eq may be a little off. That mic does well with no eq actually. I would if anything add a touch in the 9-10k range like milt stated above.

Make sure to use the presence switch on that mic, makes a huge difference. I found without it switched on it is difficult to eq the mic without it sounding harch, but with the switch on it makes it cut just right.

Keep playing with it, that's the absolute best way to learn!
Good luck!

I like ZW and BLS, but I've never heard that song before, so I didn't compare it, except for what I know about ZW. It sounds pretty good for a first attempt. Your voice has a good tone. I would suggest getting more presence in the vocals though, they sound muddy. The piano part kinda drones on and on. Is it supposed to be like that? Do you think in needs a little change-up here and there? Dynamics? :)

Back