First Time Buying a Mixing Board

ZappaSays

I dont need one of those 6 foot long mackie counsels, just a 4 track input with phantom power and usb capabilities. Not super cheap willing to spend up to 500 dollars

Read the sticky at the top of the page about mixers and interfaces.

Why are you buying a mixer?

If the answer is "home recording" then you DON'T need a mixer, you need an interface.

If it has USB capabilities, then it will work as an interface. But, yes, you need to figure out exactly what you want to do. A mixer may not help, and a USB mixer typically just sends two channels to the computer. If you want more (like if you are recording a drum kit with eight mikes), then you need an interface that will send eight channels simultaneously to the computer.

I may as well pile in and say "read the Mixers and Home Recording FAQ" HERE. Yeah, I wrote the darn thing so it feels a bit pompous recommending it.

If, after reading the FAQ, you still think you need a mixer, your problem is going to be finding a decent mixer that small. It'll be hard to find a mixer with that few inputs, a USB output and quality that doesn't mess up your recordings. The only one I can think of to suggest you look at is the Allen and Heath Zed60 10FX. It should fit your budget even though it has more inputs and features than you want--and it actually sounds okay. Beware the comment others have made though...it won't give you four discrete tracks out. There are routing options but all are for 2 tracks at a time onlyh.

Back