First time builder: Could somebody check this system for potential problems ASAP?

shackx2

I already own this software and the Delta 44, I just want some opinions on if all of this stuff should run together without any problems. Thanks a lot for the input! -shack

Fong Kai FK320 (300 watts AMD certified) Case
Thermalright SK-6 (Heatsink Only)
Delta 38CFM 60X60X25 fan for CPU
Epox 8K7A+ Motherboard
AMD 1900+/266 FSB Athlon XP Processor CPU 1.6 Ghz
IBM 30 GB 7200 RPM Hard drive (OS)
Maxtor 30 GB 7200 RPM Hard drive (Audio)
512 MB Crucial Micron RAM
Leadtek Winfast GEForce2 SH-MAX400 64MB video
Aceex V.92 FaxModem
Lynkskey LKF-5100 10/100 PCI Ethernet
Lite On 52X CD-Rom
Lite On LTR-24102B-02 24X10X40 CDRW
Mitsumi D359M3 1.44MB 3.5" floppy

Delta 44 card
Windows XP pro OS
Sonar for midi/multitracking/mixing
Soundforge for simple mastering

Did you buy all the components seprately or did they come in a prebuilt system?

Heres the link for you MB: http://www.epox.com/html/english/products/motherboard/ep-8k7a+.htm

From the looks of it, it only takes DDR RAM. Is your memory DDR, SD or Rambus?

As for your Heat sink, this is what I pulled off the Thermalright website for the sk-6:
AMD: Athlon and Athlon XP Desktops up to 1.533 GHz and higher Duron 1.1 GHz and higher

So that looks OK, albeit borderline. Im not sure what the fan rating is. Youll probably want to check that. When dealing with AMD's, cooling is of the utmost importance!! The power supply should work, although you are running alot of really processor and power intensive stuff here (dual 7200 harddrives, XP, AGP card, Delta, sonar). You might want to check into an extra case fan (or two).

From what I know, neither sonar nor the delta have any XP compat issues, so you should be good to go on that. You might want to check the Microsoft compatability list for the nic card and the modem, although its anot the most accurate. If the driver disks say they have XP drivers, 9 times outta 10, they're gonna work.

For both the hard drives and the CD RW's, make sure you connect them with ATA-100 80 pin cables, other wise, you lose the speed increases you paid for.

If you are building this system from scratch, read the Mother board manual cover to cover and anything you dont understand, look it up on the web(www.cnet.com is a great place to start), or post the question here. There alot of techies here who would be more than happy to help out.

With all that said
Kudos on some bitchen components man! Once this thing is running and all the kinks are worked out, thats gonna be one screaming machine! Let me know how it works out.

Godd luck.

Aside from Gbondo9's remark about memory, it looks fine to me. Congratulations on the new system.

It's fine. Don't sweat the power supply. I would suggest you get both hard drives from the same manufacturer. Why would you want to expose yourself to two different set up programs? Maxtor has the better reputation for support, though I (for some reason) use IBM. Make sure that your CD-RW has top software and support. From what I have read I would swing a totally separate burner if finances could stretch.... save you a fortune in aborted disks.

Liteon?

Greetings,

My buddy was telling me about some kinda Liteon 24X burner he got that copies even copyrighted disks? He said its the most amazing thing, copy any disk you want in 4 minutes. Damn technology.

SirRiff

aren't the delta fans known for beng EXTREMELY loud?

maybe you should check out some of the 21db panaflo's or 19db (or even 12db) papsts

I wouldn'y touch a power supply with less than 400Watts with AMD chips. Sure 300W may be enough for the CPU and mboard, but you have other components feeding off of it as well.

Back