First studio setup

3nigma

Well, I've been looking around the site for about a week learning about all the different recording methods, as well as on the musician selling sites looking up reviews of products. I think I'm finished choosing my equipment.

1. My Laptop - Pavilion dv4307cl (Already own)
- 1 GIG of RAM
- 1.73 Ghz Processor
- 100 GIG HD
- Windows XP SP2

2. PreSonus Firebox 6x10 FireWire Recording Interface (Around $300)
- 24-bit/96kHz + Cubase LE
- Multiple connections + MIDI

3. [url=https://en.audiofanzine.com/dynamic-microphone/shure/sm58/user_reviews/]Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphone[/URL] (Around $100)
- Frequency response: 50 to 15,000 Hz

4. M-Audio Oxygen 49 USB MIDI Keyboard Controller (Around $120)
- 8 assignable MIDI controller knobs
- 9 assignable MIDI sliders
- 15 assignable buttons, including 6 transport buttons
- assignable pitch bend and modulation wheels

I'll most likely be using Fruity Loops Studio to make my songs. Seeing as how it comes around $500, I won't be able to buy everything right away. Going to have to save for about a month. Comment on the setup if you have anything to say, good or bad. Or if you would like to change anything, or make a recommendation. :)

What kind of music do you plan on producing?
I'm thinking you could probably do a bit better than an SM58. Maybe one of the cheap-but-good condensers?

Well, I've been looking around the site for about a week learning about all the different recording methods, as well as on the musician selling sites looking up reviews of products. I think I'm finished choosing my equipment.

1. My Laptop - Pavilion dv4307cl (Already own)
- 1 GIG of RAM
- 1.73 Ghz Processor
- 100 GIG HD
- Windows XP SP2

2. PreSonus Firebox 6x10 FireWire Recording Interface (Around $300)
- 24-bit/96kHz + Cubase LE
- Multiple connections + MIDI

3. [url=https://en.audiofanzine.com/dynamic-microphone/shure/sm58/user_reviews/]Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphone[/URL] (Around $100)
- Frequency response: 50 to 15,000 Hz

4. M-Audio Oxygen 49 USB MIDI Keyboard Controller (Around $120)
- 8 assignable MIDI controller knobs
- 9 assignable MIDI sliders
- 15 assignable buttons, including 6 transport buttons
- assignable pitch bend and modulation wheels

I'll most likely be using Fruity Loops Studio to make my songs. Seeing as how it comes around $500, I won't be able to buy everything right away. Going to have to save for about a month. Comment on the setup if you have anything to say, good or bad. Or if you would like to change anything, or make a recommendation. :)
Looks good, but save a little bit extra and get the firepod and a better mic. The Studio Projects B1 will be so much better than an SM58(horrible). The firepod might be a bit big for you just now, but will allow you to very easily expand in the future. You could record a full band with a firepod and you can get it for just $45 more.

Welcome 3nigma! I am moving your thread to a more appropriate forum. I'm going to send this to Newbies, but it could also apply in Recording. If you have a preference, lemme know, but for now you will get more replies in the Newbie forum.

Welcome 3nigma! I am moving your thread to a more appropriate forum. I'm going to send this to Newbies, but it could also apply in Recording. If you have a preference, lemme know, but for now you will get more replies in the Newbie forum.
Newbies forum is fine. Thanks.
Looks good, but save a little bit extra and get the firepod and a better mic. The Studio Projects B1 will be so much better than an SM58(horrible). The firepod might be a bit big for you just now, but will allow you to very easily expand in the future. You could record a full band with a firepod and you can get it for just $45 more.
I really don't need a Firepod. I know what you're saying, later on when things get more and more complex, it'd be useful. I guess I'll get it anyway though. For the extra $60 or so, I'll live. It also supplies Phantom Power for Condensers so I think it's a pretty good deal. You did make me rethink buying the SM58. I believe I might choose a Condenser mic now.

This was the Condenser mic I was going to buy before I chose a Shure SM58, but now I think I'll get this one. Under $100 with a stand and shockmount. Pretty nice.

actually theres a guy selling firepods for 225 in the classifieds. Also the firepods have better preamps than the firebox.

Newbies forum is fine. Thanks.
I really don't need a Firepod. I know what you're saying, later on when things get more and more complex, it'd be useful. I guess I'll get it anyway though. For the extra $60 or so, I'll live. It also supplies Phantom Power for Condensers so I think it's a pretty good deal. You did make me rethink buying the SM58. I believe I might choose a Condenser mic now.

This was the Condenser mic I was going to buy before I chose a Shure SM58, but now I think I'll get this one. Under $100 with a stand and shockmount. Pretty nice.
I'm sure you'll much prefer that mic to an SM58. A lot of people really recommend the SP B1 as one of the best all-round budget mics, that's why i recommended it to you, but that MXL does seem like a really good deal, especially with the stand. I'd recommend a pop-filter too!

Last edited:
Back