First song

andallthatjazz

This is a song I recorded and mixed for my friends band. It was the first song I ever did and im quite pleased with how it turned out, expecially considering the equipment i used (my crap powered mixer, an sm57, a few cheap dynamic mike and my onboard soundcard!).

Please give me any comments on the mix and recording of it.

Do your worse!

Cheers

Well, I think its pretty 'cool'....ha ha.

No, really, without commenting on the performance (as its not your band) I've got a couple comments. The guitar tone is good overall for the style of music, but has some pretty harsh high midrange that kinda hurts my ears - its too loud in the mix too IMO. Same with the vocals - a better mic/preamp for the vox would be a big improvement too as it sounds a might bit muddy. I think the guitars would sound really cool if you double tracked them (ie have him play the same thing twice and hard pan them). Bass sounds OK. Drums are kinda weak IMO, the snare has that pop punk ping to it, but the whole kit is mono and really lacks any depth. Backing vocal placement is 'cool' though.....there I go again.

Sounds pretty damn good given your equipment though.

When I read your equiptment list I kinda groaned. When I heard it, though, my eyebrows shot up to the ceiling- good job!

This is what makes home recording so much fun- making stuff that shouldn't work, work really well.

The mix wants some stereo action. Pan those cool backing vocals out a little- it doesn't take much. If you can get the guitarist to record another track do that double tracking thing. If not, try kicking the guitar a tad right and the bass a tad left and see what it does. It might work with the garage band sound they've got going.

I'd like to hear how the song was tracked? Did you do it live with some over dubs? Tracked one instrument or a time?

One thing I noticed the 3rd time through: the little guitar lick that starts the song off to one side ends a little messy. You might be able to fix that with some editing or a fade.

Darn fine work for what you are working with.

Thanks for the opinions.

I agree with what you said about the guitar, I also though it was a bit too distorted (even though i just about managed to get the guitarist to turn it down from 10 to about 5!).

As i could only record one track at a time we tracked it like this:

First the band played the song live and recorded the drums (i would have liked to do a stereo mix but my mixer's only mono, just gets better doesnt it! :D)

then did the bass
then guitar
the vocals
and finally the backing vocals

Cheers

andallthatjazz said:
T
First the band played the song live and recorded the drums (i would have liked to do a stereo mix but my mixer's only mono, just gets better doesnt it! :D)

I understand that the drums must be mono, but couldn't you do more takes and pan w/your puter? Whatever. That was a killer job you did.

Thanks

I did pan some of the backing vocals, but we only had time to record 1 guitar track so i thought it should be in the centre.

I tried copying the guitar track panning them hard left and right and delaying one slightly but it got a bit too muddy.

Back