first song

LukeZen

Hey everyone!

I've been listening to some of the songs posted lately - there's some really great stuff, talented playing and recording going on.

Anyway here's my first attempt at something, it's not really one of those ones where you could critique the mix and what not - though please any suggestions are welcome! I just thought I'd come on here and post what I've worked on.

Let me know what you all think, this is just my sort of introduction to the world of recording. I don't have much equipment, or even know-how, but I've got a passion for it. Counts for a lot, hey?

Enjoy!

www.hornpie.tk then click on the Cactus (music page) and the piece I'm talking about is the Oriental Melody piece.

Hi Luke,
Welcome to the boards man...

The lead instrument sounds more like a mandolin than a guitar...
it's cool and all and you play well...sounds more Near East to me than oriental...the backing tracks are low in the mix...almost sounded like a keyboard for a second...

Just getting sound recorded is a great first step man...
The rest comes with time and gear....
I still don't know what the hell I am doing and it's been more than 2 years now...
You definitely are a player and I am gonna look forward to your stuff in the future...

Take it easy man,
Joe

LukeZen said:
Let me know what you all think, this is just my sort of introduction to the world of recording. I don't have much equipment, or even know-how, but I've got a passion for it. Counts for a lot, hey?

Enjoy!

www.hornpie.tk then click on the Cactus (music page) and the piece I'm talking about is the Oriental Melody piece.

Yes, it counts for a lot..in fact it's crucial, but it's only the FIRST step in a pretty high staircase...

I listened to both pieces, the first one was ok, but annoyed me with the non-stop tremolo-style picking. Consider adding space and variation to the song, as it was repetitive.

The second one was very short, but good.

Listened to the second one(acoustic guitar piece).It sounded pretty good but way to dry for this type of music.You need to experiment with some different types of reverbs on the lead and rhythm guitar to give it some some space....for ambient pieces like this to work it needs some type of reverb.

Hey thanks for the feedback

Sounds like a mandolin? That's pretty cool, I never listened to it that way before... I've always been fascinated with different more 'eastern' scales... there's a Japanese one I like but no matter what I do it just sounds like 'Sakura'

Bsanfordnyc, thanks for the input - I agree with you about how it's quite repetitive... I guess I wanted to keep it that way cause it was a first off try thing... I may do a second version though, see what I can do - exercize the musical brain.

I've actually got recorded a pretty funky version of Phantom of the Opera that my girlfriend did guitar/piano and vocals for - some cool delay bass work going on... I might post it sometime this week

Kramer, thanks for the advice - I think I'll try that out tomorrow. The piece so far was just a demo for some music I was writing inspired by my girlfriend, I've got ideas and all for the rest of it, 'chorus' parts if you will. It's something I really want to give the best I can to, I'll definitely post it on here when it's fully done anwyay :D
Cheers,
Luke

Last edited:
Back