First recording....

waverz

Im recording a metal band for the first time. Its a 5 piece metal band and they have 7 solid originals. I used 5 sm57's on the drum kit and one omni directional mic on the overhead. I have a sample of what ive recorded so far and would like some input on it. Being its a mp3 the cymbals sound abit "warbely" but youll get the jist of it. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2773/album500

Dude, I've never recorded live drums before, but I hear it takes some experimenting. There's definitely a problem with those cymbals. I've never heard that before even on an mp3. Does the wave file sound OK? The kick had some definition, but no thump.
Something about the mic placement gave it a kinda live sound. It needs abetter balance between the toms and snare.

Twist

I have only done drum recording once, but, I think you gotta get those mics closer. Put the 57s right next to the kit, almost touching them, and play around with the omini mic until the snare is in the center, or at least close to center, closer to the kit, too.

Al

Well i only had 2 days and needed to record 8n tracks....the .mp3
format doesnt do the recordings any justice. I do appreciate your opinions, but i think when i mix in the 2 guitars, bass and vocals I think itll be alot more pleasing to the ears. I wish i had more time to experiment with mic placement but i had to borrow most of the mics and had to haul pc to location. The band members were happy, and since im doing this for free im just happy they are happy. Hopefully some more "experienced drum trackers" will critique me, but anyhow I'll be getting guitar tracks laid down this weekend and I'll keep ya posted on the outcome...jeeze im drunk. :) much peas

Jeremy

If you're using multiple tracks, turn the bass down a bit maybe, and the cymbals need a bit more shshshshshs trebble.

Not a bad sound at all. Just not as authorative as it maybe could be. When you track the rest it may work out ok, But watch the lows and mids on the other instruments taking definition away further.
'sounds like your trimmed the high end eq on all the mics a little. Some of the high freq`s are actually important in relation to the low freqs on the kick/toms/and snare, even though you dont really seem to hear it, when its there, it adds definition. Kinda like hearing the fraction of a second when the stick comes in contact with the drum head before the actual tone of the drum swells and happens. Gettin the mics a little closer helps that too. The cymbals sound like they are missing some high freq too with accentuated mids. They can get a "pwasha pwasha" sound from mids.

Back