First recording on my new gear! feedback?

lascalaboy

This is the first recording I've done on my new gear (mixer and s/card)

I used:

laptop
Kristal Audio engine
m-audio quattro usb soundcard
Etek 1223 4bus mixer
Tenlux dynamic mic

Drums were done using free samples on the net and Leaf Drums 2

I played piano and bass and did the drum loops, and the vocals and my friend Tim did the guitar. I also did the fantastic tambourining!

The track is called "Jesus' Precious Blood"

It is a church song we wrote and hope to introduce...

feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Good recording, especially with the limited gear. It sounds well balanced on my system. I don't really like the song. Same ol, same ol'. The vocal is weak. Not always on pitch and kind of monotone.

hey

i think the vocalist has a nice voice. given a little more practice or whatever, it could develop into a good voice. at the moment, it does sound a little amateur. not heaps bad, just a little.

it's mixed well into the song i thought. right volume and clear.

i didn't like the song. i thought it was really really cheesy. but i just want to point out it's not my genre though. my sister is a pianist and she's a very devoted christian and love christian music, and well, it totally shits me. especially the lyrics. it's so boring, they just talk about the same thing, using the same cliches ("jesus is your saviour", "worship the lord almighty" etc.). but i don't want to go into why i hate it, but i just want to let you see that my opinion is biased on that account.

the drums were really fake sounding also. i did not like them. i really think you could improve them actually, with some decent samples.

Thanks... the genre of song is simple and not innovative, because it's supposed to be sung by a congregation... just so you know, I appreciate that it's not 'shout to the Lord' tho...

I always have trouble with my vox in this style of music... I thought it's kind of funny about my voice developing into a good one.... I'm actually an opera singer in my 4th year of uni and just won a scholarship to study in London.... I would say it's developing, but not in this style... I think I'm too much of a purist with the sound.. but thanks, I know now I need to polish up the vocal track!

Where do I get decent samples from?

I didn't mean to sound harsh regarding your vocals. I don't like mine very much either. I have a hard time with vocals and I don't have the benefit of any training.

My turn. :). I think the gtr is a little tinny sounding to me. Should try re aiming the mic till the tone mellows out a bit (with some top end for clarity but not too much)

Over all well put together for a basic Track....

So you write huh?

Got any stuff you wanna sell?? We are starting the next project and I want 5 songs to not be written in house.

I have just uploaded a new version with a string arrangement added...

I notated the strings using Cakewalk HS 7 and via the midi out on my quattro I recorded the output of my Roland kr-370 digi piano.
This is my first real attempt at arranging strings... what needs fixing?

I haven't fixed the flub, because I think it's in my bad drum loop programming.. anbd htis is a scratch track to give to the real drummer anyway! (maybe I'll fix it...)
I've done some eq on the guitar too, make it a little fatter I hope.. I was going to re-record it, byut I'm getting a new guitar soon.. so I'll wait.

well recorded. but, i do hear it louder and softer for some reason. not sure what could be causing that? good luck with it.
Jason

Back