First Recording Gig

If you are using the studio live board you have the main plug up front that whoever is running the board uses. Then you have 4 auxes. Those 4 auxes are also on the left side of the board. hit the aux 1 button, then basically the fat channel becomes volume knobs. you turn up what channels you want that aux to hear. Do that until you have the levels set for each aux (1 -4 so they can have different mixes). Then make sure on the right side of the board you have the FX a and FX b clicked on the auxes and you should hear effects in the aux. Hope that helps

Then you connect those aux outputs to the headphone distribution amp and from there to the headphones. There is a headphone distribution amp, right?

The headphone amp appeared to be pre industrial revolution. That might have been the problem. I did try to send out different mixes through the Aux outputs. Not sure what was going wrong, but we had 3 - 4 people working on it at the same time. To be honest, I think that was the only problem.

I like the way you do things Miroslav.

And wow... I did not even consider how much 'fun' it would have been if the guys were getting sloppier and sloppier though out.

I'll let you guys know if there are any more developments.

A question. The only time I recorded in a real studio was almost 20 years ago, plus I was most likely drunk at the time, so memory isn't exactly crystal clear. I think I remember us being there about 6 hours. In that time we recorded maybe 10 songs. They were punk rock stuff so not technically crucial. From my memory the drums all got laid down first time, maybe 2 for a song or two. Anyways the question... is that possible? 10 - 3 minutes songs in 6 (maybe it was 8) hours? Maybe that's a normal amount of time, what do you guys reckon.

That would depend on the experience of the band, engineer and the quality you are expecting.

More like 6 hours per song if you are looking for something of sell-able quality. Demo quality stuff, yeah you could possibly make that happen in 6 hours. Not if you spend 3 just trying to get the gear to work tho...

It depends more on what you wish to get from the recording and how important it is to get it right.

A question. The only time I recorded in a real studio was almost 20 years ago, plus I was most likely drunk at the time, so memory isn't exactly crystal clear. I think I remember us being there about 6 hours. In that time we recorded maybe 10 songs. They were punk rock stuff so not technically crucial. From my memory the drums all got laid down first time, maybe 2 for a song or two. Anyways the question... is that possible? 10 - 3 minutes songs in 6 (maybe it was 8) hours? Maybe that's a normal amount of time, what do you guys reckon.

It depends on the band and how good/prepared they are and how prepared the studio is. If the band spends hours figuring out what to do and the engineers spend hours miking everything, then a 3 minute song can take all day.

It depends on the band and how good/prepared they are and how prepared the studio is. If the band spends hours figuring out what to do and the engineers spend hours miking everything, then a 3 minute song can take all day.

So true... I had a band come in a few weeks ago that nailed 22 drum tracks in 23 hours. The drummer did not even know the songs yet. That was actually the plan. Simple songs, but still, an incredible drummer learned the material as he recorded them.

Last week, I recorded two songs with 3 musicians that never played together. Again, that was the premise and I love doing shit like that with great players.

It was 10 hours total and they nailed all the tracks except for final vocals and solos. Drums, bass, guitar two tracks plus solo track and rough vocal.

My fastest session was eight tracks in twelve hours.

They arrived at 10am after ringing in a panic having to get a demo done and away the next day.

We tracked the instruments in the morning, the vocals in the afternoon and did the mixing in the evening, with them taking a master away at 10pm.

I have to say, for all their tardiness in getting the recordings done in the first place, they knew what they were doing, were very tight and did not mess around.

So though it was a big day, it was enjoyable and satisfying.

I am begging the guys to record this weekend and let me mix over the next week. Their idea is start to finish everything done Saturday and Sunday. I don't get it, and I'm trying to change that. Not really sure what the rush is.

Luckily I bought studio one on Cinco de Mayo for $5. Someone on this forum hipped me to it. I figured might as well get another DAW, since it's $5. Glad I got it after all. I downloaded the tracks for that Everyday song from the Mix this section. Great song by the way. I imported all the tracks into studio one about 40 minutes ago and I'm having a crack at doing things.

So far I'm just overwhelmed with all the tracks. And yes I know it doesn't even have that many tracks.

My song....?

-einar-

Yes, your song. It's been fun working with. I can't get it out of my head. Thanks for recording/ uploading all the tracks for people to mix.

Update on the recording situation is not much of an update. The guy who's sorta running things went to the hospital 2 days after recording and has been there since, so nothing has happened to all that music. It's just sat on the PC in the garage.

I appreciate all the responses about the timing of things. I guess it's not too bad the amount we got down. Most of it sounds good too.

I guess that of late I mostly lurk around the forums here, reading voraciously, with not too much of my own to post at this point. But I really wanted to say how impressed I am with the HR membership. This poor guy gets thrown into the snake pit ("why does it have to be snakes?") with hardly enough time for a quick prayer, and in what seems like a flash, HR members come up with scads of good advice and experiential examples.

When I was doing song demos in my dual 4-track studio some 30 years ago, I would have loved to be able to ask someone for advice (but there weren't nobody but me and the dog, and he was mostly "aloof") and help in those dire moments when it didn't seem like things were really going to work out well.

Really guys, well done. . .

I guess that of late I mostly lurk around the forums here, reading voraciously, with not too much of my own to post at this point. But I really wanted to say how impressed I am with the HR membership. This poor guy gets thrown into the snake pit ("why does it have to be snakes?") with hardly enough time for a quick prayer, and in what seems like a flash, HR members come up with scads of good advice and experiential examples.

When I was doing song demos in my dual 4-track studio some 30 years ago, I would have loved to be able to ask someone for advice (but there weren't nobody but me and the dog, and he was mostly "aloof") and help in those dire moments when it didn't seem like things were really going to work out well.

Really guys, well done. . .

I cant speak for everyone, but most of the members here do actually care and try to help. There is a subliminal line that is drawn when new members ask questions that could be answered just by reading stickies or a simple Google search.

When someone is in obvious need of quick advice, many of us will immediately respond with whatever advice we have from our personal experience. The ones who present themselves as needing to be fed simple information or just want answers for questions like "how do I make my $30 mic sound like a pro recording" get ignored for the most part.

Not knowing who your appreciation is directed to specifically, I will myself say that it is great to hear someone appreciate what this forum is really about. I continue to learn from the members here everyday and will continue to help out in any way I can.

So thank you paddedcell. :)

"("why does it have to be snakes?")"

Because being thrown into "The Pit of Six Weeks Old Kittens" does not seem to have the same capacity to terrify?
And yes, we is all doing what we can ta'

Dave.

I totally agree paddedcell. Online communities are a wonderful thing. I've learned a TON from various forums on various topics. I've even made friends from all around the world on the forums. My travels have led me to stay with online friends in 4 countries so far. A really great way to save on hotel costs while vacationing.

A little update. The vocal session was long and arduous, which was ok, because I wasn't there. Oh man... I would have hated it too... I can't STAND the guys singing. Really messes up the music which I think is pretty awesome. A day or two after the tracking went down, one of the guys who's running the show went back to the hospital (he has heart issues). That threw a wrench in things and from what I gather the head of the band that was recorded was being a pain in the ass. I don't ask a lot of questions, because I don't want to get involved really... but from what I gather, the band guy has been calling nonstop asking when he's going to get the final mix. I'm not sure what is going on between them all, but the end of the story is that they are not going to mix anything for the band. I'm not sure if they will just send the files to the band and wash their hands of it or what. To me the whole situation is laughable. It's like a bunch of children playing with grown up toys or something.

I was there over the weekend and got a copy of all the files to play with. It's been a lot of fun getting experience with the DAW. I like music, I like video games, and I like working on the computer... this all seems like a cool mix of the three.

Back