first recording ever!

not bad at all. You tracked that really hot and it`s still clean with the parts separated pretty good. You need to go buy or borrow a bass and something to do some drums with now.
Tell us what your using to record with i.e. software, mic`s, amp, pod, etc...

Toki987 said:
not bad at all. You tracked that really hot and it`s still clean with the parts separated pretty good. You need to go buy or borrow a bass and something to do some drums with now.
Tell us what your using to record with i.e. software, mic`s, amp, pod, etc...

i would love to own a bass. gonna have to save up for one!

i tried creating a drum track with Fruity Loops but it sounded too cheezy...

i recorded this with Cakewalk Home Studio. You're gonna laugh cuz the mic i used is one of those computer mic's:

http://the-assembly.org.uk/~milwr/files/computer_mic.gif

i have a 'Fender 85' amp and a home-made guiter with an EMG active pickup.

thanks for the kind words!

To echo some of what Toki said, yeah it's tracked pretty hot. Listen carefully and you should be able to hear some distortion in the recording (not the guitar distortion). It's a more "staticy" sound. It's clipping, and it just means you were pumping too much signal to your recording device. No big deal, you just need to turn your levels down.

The tone on the guitar was quite midrange heavy. Watch that when you're trying to get your guitar tone. It makes for a sound that's a little abrasive on the ears.

Now having said that, you got a good groove going on that guit. It could be the makings of a real good song. So keep at it.

For a first ever recording that's pretty damn good!! both playing and soundwise. I agree with what was said above. Try to get the guitar signal to peak at about -9 to -3db (ish) on the meter (in Cakewalk) when you hit the strings hard. That should be a good starting point for levels. personally I don't find that it needs to be too hot most of the time and often have it a bit less than that.

Good stuff.......

TripleM said:
To echo some of what Toki said, yeah it's tracked pretty hot. Listen carefully and you should be able to hear some distortion in the recording (not the guitar distortion). It's a more "staticy" sound. It's clipping, and it just means you were pumping too much signal to your recording device. No big deal, you just need to turn your levels down.

The tone on the guitar was quite midrange heavy. Watch that when you're trying to get your guitar tone. It makes for a sound that's a little abrasive on the ears.

Now having said that, you got a good groove going on that guit. It could be the makings of a real good song. So keep at it.

thanks for the info. i tried to reduce that "staticy" sound as much as i could. it may have also been the hokey microphone. i really need to get a better mic, pre-amp, and sound card.

Back