First recorded song by band

not bad, not the sort of music I would listen to but a good listen - were the guitars recorded direct into your mixer / computer?

@StevenJacksonMu
I apologize for the drums off time yes they were. I tracked them myself. I musta gone through so many takes and I just slowly got frustrated because either I would screw up or Cubase would screw up on me (which is very nerving btw). Plus the base tempo that we recorded with on the scratch track was sorta slow so I was really anticipating tempo a bit much when I was tracking drums.

@innerdream

I recorded the guitar via Alesis io26 firewire interface. I ran a single input through a sm57 pointed toward the edge of the cone on fender amp he had. Which is a Fender DP25 25 amp frontman to note ^^. So we are suprised at the sound it produces both recording and live-wise. Oh, and I also recorded the guitar into two mono tracks simultaneaously so as to produce a stereo effect. When I was mixing the most I was fretting over was the guitar as odd as it might seem. I felt it was a bit too dirty and too Nirvana sounding for a happy, driving tempo song such as this. But in the end I felt it just added to the mood to where it feels more like a Smashing Pumpkins or White Stripes type deal or somewhat. So I left it be.

There are some timing issues like when the fuzzy guitar came in and the bass (which seems to be too woolly) runs don't quite work.
Sounds like a really good song but it also sounds like it was recorded live in a room with 2 mics.
You need to go back & rebuild this drums, then bass etc capturing each as well as you can.
Oh, the fuzzy guitar doesn't really cut it as it comes across just fizzy (as if a pedal straight into the comp. which you say you didn't do).
Please do post any changes.

Yeah I added a delay in there to try and fatten it up a bit. I've been wanting to redo the guitar track overall since it sounded too distorted to begin with. But we never really have time to do so as we're in the process of writing more music for a demo. I forgot to mention that I also used a drum overhead mic to capture the fx in the back of the guitar amp.

I also used a bass drum mic pointed toward the center of the bass amp approx. 4" away from the amp. Then an sm57 pointed toward the tip of the cone at maybe 5" away. I think I'll try and just roll off some of the low end on the track with the bass drum mic. I'll also see if I can maybe remove the delay on the guitar and roll off some mids an lows.

I liked the song.

Yep some timing issues.

I think the acoustic guitar in the intro had a string out of tune. Had a boomy note on it too.

The distorted guitar was a bit fizzy and crackly. I'd turn down the gain a notch or two and move the mic further away from the center of the speaker cone (towards the edge).

Some vocal pitch issues - both lead and harmony.

Drums sound distant and the cymbals are strange sounding. They sound a little disconnected - as if the kit was all close mic'd with no overheads.

Yeah, dude... Not too shabby for a first effort. If I were you, I'd work on timing. Make your drummer practice and play to a click-track even when not recording. Then the rest of the band needs to work on following him tightly. Biggest issue, by far, to my ears, is timing - on all parts.

Songwriting is strong, and recording isn't horrible, but the timing really needs to be improved.

Keep at it! Thanks for sharing, too!

Back