First post. Original song recorded with Tascam MF P01.

nem

"Where's the Laugher" - original song, recorded entirely with the 'dinky' little Tascam MF P01 portastudio, and edited in garageband before being bounced back to 1/4 inch reel to reel. And then, of course, what you're hearing here has been bounced back to .aiff. Overkill, I know.. This was mainly a test, because I'm about to start recording on a Tascam 244 and - though I've used the MF P01 a lot in the last 10 years for recording ideas - this was the first time I ever bounced the individual tracks from the machine to a computer to edit - which also allowed me to be able to use more than just 4 tracks. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/buzzardandworm/wheres-the-laughter-1

Bolan of the 21st century! Fun, creative tune Nem. So fun I hit 'repeat.'
Sounds mostly good, but the bass guitar sounds really smothered and I can't make out to many of the lyrics.

Creative, fun tune.

Some of the sounds are freaking me out, making me think that I have a blown woofer or something, ha ha. I'm not really sure how to critique the mix because the tune is so "out there" that you can pretty much make any mix decisions you'd like and people will likely not pick up on whether it is on purpose or not. I did note some noise that you can clean up. If this is happening on a lot of tracks, the overall mix would benefit from additional clarity if you can deal with it. I think everything is coming through clearly and everything seems nicely balanced. I did find myself hoping for more top end elements in the mix, a little more panning and a little less of a right-leaning listening experience.

All in all, I enjoyed this very much! I was a big Ween fan back in the day and this reminds me of that a bit. I never cared about the mixes when I listened to their stuff. It was just about pure entertainment.

Back