First Post In The MP3 Mixing Clinic!

halo206

Hello...

Ive been a member for a while, i figured id post some of my music to see what you all would think. This music was created using steinberg groove agent as far as drums go, and i am singing and playing the guitar.

Im not really a singer, more of a guitarist. That being said i know there are some intonation issues in the verse that were unfixable with autotune ... that I tried to fix... hehe. So just letting you all know that im not tone deaf! :)

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

- Mike

Reactions: XLR
Nice song. Both vocal parts are great, and the guitars are very well done. Percussion's a problem I think, and too hot in the mix. The double-heart-thump synth kick drum sounds too fake and overpowers the mix in general. The snare maybe needs a little more body to the sound, but all the percussion would fit better at a little lower level. The singing and guitars makes the song.

Tim

Last edited:
I agree with Tim. It sounds really pop-ishka with the hot n' heavy drums. If that's what you were going for, I'd go in a different direction. This song is begging for your vocal tracks and guitars to come out.

Aside from it all, I think you did a good job keeping the beats from being too roting and boring (as far as drum synthesizers go...). Definitely just tone it down a tad.

You have really well-placed delays, the guitars' sounds fit in a way that it really creates a great mood, and your voice is actually really pleasing the way it seems to complete that whole feel. The accent the female voice has on yours is very very interesting, too! I think this song is great :-)

thanks for the comments! I will definately try to put the kick a little lower in the mix. I dont know exactly what i was going for but I can hear how the drums could come off as cheesy when theyre right up front. I will also try to experiment with snare sounds and see if i can work that out.

Thank you both for the very constructive comments, I appreciate it a great deal.

- Mike Lacourse

Back